Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing iWatsu phone system PBX - looking for recommendations for inhouse hardware that's analog 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklord

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2018
US
Hi All,

We are a school district on a limited budget with a bunch of iWatsu analog phone systems. I've been asked to recommend something to replace them that preferable doesn't have yearly licensing fees. The various opensource software looks tempting but I can't find suggestions for in-house hardware. VOIP is out of the question. Thanks for all thoughts. Have a great Thanksgiving!

You said:
" The various opensource software looks tempting but I can't find suggestions for in-house hardware. VOIP is out of the question."

Open Source Software is VOIP.

Open Source is almost always Linux, so you would need a Linux computer to run it.
You can then use Cisco, Yealink, Grandstream and any other Open Standards (SIP) telephones.

If you want a traditional type of phone system(s), look at Panasonic NS-700.

You will also need a NS-700 Panasonic Qualified tech to install, troubleshoot and program the system.

Look into NEC SL2100's. Low priced with lots of features. Can do analog, digital and IP phones.

Look at the Emetrotel with Grandstream FXS Gateways. You can reuse the existing analog sets along with a variety of SIP phones.

Upvote on NEC stuff. Huge fan.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks for the replies!

What kind of licensing is required for NEC phone system like the SL2100?

Does their controller software require annual licenses?

Basically could we pick up one off Amazon/eBay and upgrade firmware/software and then use it?

There seems to be lots of youtube videos on NEC?

Thanks in advance!

No annual license. No licenses required unless you want v-mail to email, sip trunks or 3rd party sip phone, plus some other feature enhancements. Voicemail to email is a system wide license. First find a good installer.

First find a good installer.

Agreed. I didn't take weeks and weeks of certification training at NEC headquarters because the system was just "plug it in".

The nice thing about the NEC systems is that they are a "hybrid". The stations are 2-wire, but they are considered digital; "D-terms" they call them. Very clear, feature-rich, and work over 2 wires, so they can work over existing wiring. Additionally, the newer (within the past say, 10 years) systems also support VOIP. You could have a mixture of d-terms that look identical, but some are VOIP and others are 2-wire.

You'd also want an installer who knows how to harden your system so you don't get hacked. Improperly configured trunk-to-trunk transfers or not hardening the voicemail system could allow a hacker to run up a monstrous phone bill. (Stuff like changing the default voicemail password and so forth).

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I would also say you need an installer who understands VOIP ,... as in QOS requirements if you decide on SIP , many people think they are VOIP engineers...but actually ask them what DSCP values are and why jitter occurs due to RTP packets being UDP and not re-transmitted , or etc etc you get the point im sure

ACSS (UC/SBCE/SM/SME)

Not that they mean a thing anymore , get a brain dump pass the test crash the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back