Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing floppy drive on Opt 81C

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTHorn

Technical User
Dec 23, 2004
US
During the nightly routines, the backup is failing with:
% TEMU011 Error occurred backing up database
% Check that Floppy Diskette is properly inserted

We have been able to do both ABKO and EDD backups, but it then fails. The "part" the floppy drive is on MMDU - NT4N43CA 04.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just replace that "card" or even just that floppy and how you go about doing that.

you can replace the floppy but might be safer to replace the cmdu, their is a procedure for doing that, almost the same as an upgrade, just put your switch in split mode, with the good cmdu active and do the replacement, i would load the software, then copy the data base from the active.. not a task for the timid.. takes about an hour

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

if you do a ld 135 scpu does the edd work to the other cmdu?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes. It started happening back in Nov. and I did a scpu and the backup worked until I scpu back to the one that was getting the error.
We can do a couple of abko's and edd's , and it seems to work for a while, then it stops.
I was hoping I could take out the mmdu card, replace the floppy drive (we have a bunch of those sitting around) then have it work again.

good it will scpu, so you can do a split system, the procedure is in the system upgrade manual vol 3 of 5 about half way through...very simple, just make sure your cpu and cmdu on the good side are active, then put the maint switch on the ACTIVE cpu down (maint)..turn off the cni's on the bad side, face plate disu the cmdu, swap it.. enll it (face plate) then press the ini button and hold it in switch the cpu on the same (bad) side to maint, then rls the ini...connect a term to to plug j25 on the rear of that cab. you'll need to have the install disk in the drive and the cd in the drive...you'll be prompted all the way through the procedure after that.. you'll need the keycode disk, and you can upload from the active cpu, (patches come accross) then make all switches normal, remove the disk and ini both sides at once...if you've never done one, have the book open

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Follow exactly the indication that Jhon give you and also
be carefully with the actual setting for the SCSI ID in the floppy that you are going to remove, because you can cause a conflict with other devices (hard disks, cd drivers or the other floppy drive when you put out the split mode and return to normal mode in the system.

Javier

any switch setting that is wronge on that card can cause the switch to not boot, check them close, good catch javier

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

This sounds like your replacing the whole card, instead of taking down the cpu, taking out the card that has the floppy drive on it, taking out the bad floppy drive, changing any unit id, putting in the new floopy, putting the card back in, and bring up the cpu again.

yes, the company i work for is going to send the cmdu back to nortel anyway.. i have late at night changed just the drive, of course that may not be the problem that stops the edd.. might be somewhere else on the cmdu.. had a mail crash where two of us removed the disk from the scsi drive and put them on a new drive, worked long enough to get a partial back up...saved losing 1000's of saved msgs and having 1800 users get to work with greetings and passwords gone..not to mention about 30 menus, that were not documented..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm pretty certain is the floppy. When I do the backup and it fails, we have to reformat the floppy before we can use it again.

How does one go about getting the cpu so that you can remove the "card" where the floppy is?

I may be missing something on this long post but the floppy is just a floppy disk that pops in and out like a regular floppy disk on any computer.

you believe that it is not the same problem that I have…
check it in GERGE14

mr horn the drive is on the cmdu, same steps from my 1st response.. when you back out the cmdu, the hd is still spinning..don't drop it...other then that just a very small phillups..no tricks. then just slide the cmdu back in, leave the active cpu in maint, turn the cni's on the standby side on.. the screen will tell you that is doing a sync.. leave it alone.. when it does finish..take the active cpu out of maint...almost the same, just skip the software

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back