Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing DLL in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

masai

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2000
US
I've a compaq DL 580 with smart array 5300. Disk are configured as Raid 5. Installed NT in a NTFS partition. Need to replace some DLLs but they are used by system and it does not allow me to do so. Situation:
- No boot from DOS (no FAT partition, and booting from floppy doesn't work since there are no DOS drivers for the Compaq array 5300, so even NTFSDOS professional is useless)
- They are not service DLL so stopping services won't work too.
If anyone knows an utility that, at least, allows NT to replace the DLL during next boot it would be great.

this may be a lot of work but here goes
Add a second hard drive that will boot to NT, so you can see the other hard drive. Only NT can see NTFS.
Or take the drive out of the first computer and put it in another NT box.
Because that partition is not running NT you can do whatever you want over there.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

You could try disabling the device or service that is using these dlls? it all depends on what they are. You can take down the names of the dll's and then go to this link:

It should tell you what is using these files. If it is a pesky system service you can get a nice little tool off the resource kit called kill.exe which stops anything running by PID (process ID) or by name. Once you have done that, you should be able to update the files.

Regards.

Cranberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back