Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing batteries in SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweigert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2002
US
One of my SPSs is faulted. I believe I can regain functonality by replacing the batteries and then resetting the faulted SPS. What is the correct procedure to do that?

Thank you very much,

Dan Weigert.

As they say.. no user serviceable parts inside. But... there are four 6 volt batteries .. each of which goes for about 15 or so. A simple spade lug connection to the batteries. As with any ups, you must be very cautious to prevent accidental dischage into any of your favorite body parts even when the switchers are off and the unit is unplugged.

Comtec is correct. But it's a matter of technical ability and perspective. Replacing the entire unit is the EMC way ( and if you have a contract with them, that is the way to go. However, personally, I wouldn't throw away a ups or pay an exorbitant amount of money when the only problem is a defective battery. We could get ridiculous with this and say that anything with a battery should be replaced when the unit dies... cars, flashlights.. radios..watches..
If you have any doubt at all about your ability to replace the unit, pay EMC or a third party to do it for you. You may even be able to take it to a battery store and ask them to test the batteries. The battery store has the added benefit of disposing of the hazardous materials. My two cents.

I don't have a problem opening the unit, or replacing the batteries themselves. The issue, (as explained to me) is connecting a terminal to the SPS and entering some information to clear the fault. I was told it will remain faulted even though the batteries are replaced, and would until the fault is actually cleared.

I know of no ups or sps that needs to be 'cleared' for operations to resume once a repair has been completed. If it isn't a battery problem but rather a problem with the charging circuitry.. replacing the battery will obviously do no good.

That fault light can come on for other reasons. I tested my batteries and they tested fine. they held a charge just fine however the fault light was on. I had to adjust a POT inside to adjust the charging voltage and that cleared the fault.

Unless you absolutely know what the adjustment does, I would not recommend adjusting any pots. Damage to the batteries or the circuitry could result. It may or may not be an immediate effect, but, over time, you could come to regret it.

Just a quick note on theis thread, I replaced the batteries, but instead of 30 minutes, it took closer to 6 hours for the light to come green.

My thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back