Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a SSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

robust57

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2005
US
We had a SSC card go bad this morning in an Option 11c and the entire switch is down. I have a replacement SSC but not sure what needs to happen to get the system up and running again. Do I have to swap out the memory, daughter cards, and the dongle/battery thing? Any other steps?

I have an old remote xbk backup. Software not so sure about, I am not on site.

if the daughter board is ok, it should just boot up after you move over the Security dongle and flash daughterboard and the fiber/ip daughterboard(s).

if the flash is toast, you would need a new flash daughterboard and software / keycodes / backed up database....

had this happen on an SSC card when someone bent the pins in the PCMCIA slot, they shorted a couple of the pins, took a small screwdriver and bent it back enough to get it to boot up ok, but PCMICA slot was no good after, but the switch was running, turned out that the PC card that the tech tried to use had problems with the connector......

So the database is stored on the daughterboard? I don't think we have a PCMCIA card in this switch.

2 copies, 1 on the daughterboard, 1 on the motherboard.

As stated above, reload or replace the Daughterboard with the correct software. Your SSC should still have a good backup. follow most parts of my guide.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks everyone we got the system back up and running, just the SSC card was bad, no data loss.

It's rare for the SSC card to fail, unless it was hit by lightning or water etc. Anyway it's good to know that you got it working again.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

good to hear, easier to replace the SSC then the Flash Daughterboard (reinstall OS, patches etc.).....

I think what caused this failure is that on Christmas our A/C unit went down. Our servers began to shut down at the 120 degree mark. So this switch was baking until we could get someone to go into the office and get some air flowing. Nothing like trying to get someone to go into the office on Christmas Eve in Salt Lake City. Just took a few days to blow up I guess.

Okay, now, go out and get a 64meg PCMCIA card. Backup and Archive your database on that card and put it in a safe place in the switchroom. Every time your on site, backup it up to be current.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

just a note that old cisco equipment have a 64mb compact flash on them that can be utilized on the option 11c systems. it's getting harder to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back