Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a NW4.11 Server. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaenke

MIS
Feb 15, 2000
US
I have purchased a new server and want to swap it out with an old one. I have done some research on using DSMaint, but was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers? Will I lose anything (ex. login scripts, print queue's)?

1.<br>
Just ghost the drive.<br>
Then adjust startup.ncf and autoexec.ncf for the new equipment.<br>
<br>
2.<br>
Across the wire upgrade should work...haven't done one for awhile.

An absolutely safe method that worked for me is this:<br>
Buy and configure a new server with all the drives that you will need. Connect it to the network. Install netware from the CD to match up to all the hardware. Let it join the existing NDS Tree - give it a new name so it can coexist with the old server. Use XCOPY32 and TCOPY to copy all of the directories and rights from the old volumes to the new volumes (use the same volume names, different servers). Then you just need to tweak the login scripts so the users map to the new server instead of the old. Somewhere along the line you'll need to uninstall the license from the old server and add it to the new one - or better yet, if the old server is NW4.x, put NW5.x on the new server (upgrade the DS version on the old one), and just get upgrade licenses for the new server. Before you shut down the old one, go into DSMAINT and make the new server the keeper of the Primary DS Replica, etc. Look it over, plan it out like I've described, and you don't need to shut down the old server until everything is totally happy with the new one. The only teensy downside is the new server has a new name, and you'll need to update the Preferred Server setting on the clients eventually.<br>
Good luck, enjoy NW5, and be sure to load IP - you'll love it. I prefer static IP, that way I can know exactly which PC's connection I'm looking at. NDPS printing is a bit different, but it works nicely. have fun!<br>
<p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Fred,<br><br>This was explained very well, thank-you.<br><br>Question: Is there any reason why (after making the new server the keeper of the DS Replica, etc) the old server cannot be removed from the network and the new server given the old server name and internal network number?<br><br>Todd

One other option is Novell's Accelerated Upgrade method.&nbsp;&nbsp;This can be used for NW 4.11 and NW 5.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you want to retain the volume names and server name etc. NDS will become very touchy because it uses an NDS ID for the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;The accelerated upgrade application by Novell will migrate from the old server to the new, keeping the existing name of the server, the volume information, it will also recreate the volume structure to match that of the existing server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Final step is that it makes a copy of NDS from the source server and then does a restore of NDS using the copy to the new server.&nbsp;&nbsp;When this is complete, the program will down the source server and bring up the new one in its place.&nbsp;&nbsp;Novell is standing behind this product as they have tested it in their SUPER LAB and converted some 200 test servers with no problems.<br><br>Since NDS is ID specific, when NDS is restored to the New server, NDS will assume it is the same server and it will function as normal.<br><br>We are planning to use this method to upgrade all our 4.11 servers to 5.1 and should save us a lot of time in the long run.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Please note:&nbsp;&nbsp;If you use this method, you dont have to modify continer scripts or NDS rights.<br> <p>Mark C. Greenwood<br><a href=mailto:m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com>m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back