Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a HD in Intuity R5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

listhist

MIS
Feb 26, 2004
CA
Does anyone have experience doing this? I have to change a drive and just want to verify the procedure for doing so. The doc that I have doesn't give much info, actually just says to hot swap the old with new and it will rebuild... I'm a little leary doing that.

Does anyone have anything further that I need to know?

thx

The link above should be what you need. I had to do one on my Intuity and the best I remember it wasn't that bad to do. Mine had a model of a drive that leaked oil on the diskette and thats why I had to replace it.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks mikey, this is the doc I was referring to unfortunately it's not very detailed and I've also heard that the disk replacement instructions are not accurate.

I build and rebuild these all the time. If you have a good backup of the system, and the software CD's and boot floppies, just follow the instructions under installing software. You must have the same make and model drive, you can't just install any drive. The boot sectors are different on different drives and UNIX is not too flexible. It is also best to do a low level format if the drive isn't new, you can find those tools on the drive MFG's web site.
One error in the doc's is when it comes to the point where you type "/autoinstall" That is wrong! It is "/etc/autoinstall" -minus the quotes of course.
If you want to protect yourself, get 2 drives and load them both identically and install the extra in the cabinet "UNCONNECTED" beneath the main drive, then you can do a powerdown, change the connectors, reboot and restore from tape.
Load time for 1 drive is about 2 hours, a restore takes 30 minutes to 1.5 hrs depending on the number of users.

thx phones. This is a Raid 5 Intuity MAP100, going to the extent you describe doesn't make sence to me. I think this should rebuild itself, but looking into the diagnostics of my machine it's currently using IBM 8.7GB drives and my vendor has sent me Seagate 73GB.

I don't know if this will be a problem or not.

Does anyone else have some knowledge they can share with me on this?

thx

Sorry you didn't specify the system and drive type, so I assumed a map 5P. A map 100 can recover from a single drive failure Usually, if you follow the instructions under recovery.
Slightly better documentation on recovery is located on the AVAYA support site under the Release 4 maintenance documentation. Realize not all information may be exactly the same.

You must have the same drive types and sizes as exists, you cannot mix and match. You could replace all the drives with 73 gig's and reload the software and try a restore, But as I said UNIX is a bit Particular on what it will work with because of the included drivers. It is not like windows with a driver cache to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back