Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a BDC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRetro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
CA
Hi
I am curious how I would go about swapping out a BDC on a remote site. I have a BDC now in a branch that is very close to dying (blue screens on reboots). I want to replace it with another machine, but how do I get the other box configured when the old BDC is still running.
Ideally I would like to config the new BDC at my site and then ship it out to the remote branch and have it just take the place of the older one (turn old one off, replace and turn new one on). This new DC needs to have the same name as the old and contain all the same shares etc as the old one.
Hope this isnt too confusing, thanks in advance for any help.

Install it as BDC2 and join the domain. Afterward, down BDC, remove it from Server Manager, then simply rename BDC2 to BDC.

As for moving shares, if you have a small number of shares, job the credentials down and manually redo the share credentials. If you have a large number of shares, here's a hack from:

"Moving the actual files and directories is simple, however share information is not contained in the directories, but rather is contained in the registry (under LanmanServer), it is therefore necessary to copy this registry information from the machine currently containing the shares, to the machine that will host the shares:

To copy the files you will need to use the SCOPY utility that is supplied with the resource kit to keep the current permission/audit settings
SCOPY <current>:\<dir> <new>:\<dir> /o /a /s
On the machine that currently hosts the shares, start the registry editor (regedt32.exe, not regedit.exe)
Move to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
Click on Shares, and select Save Key from the Registry Menu
Enter the name of a file, e.g. shares.reg and click OK
Copy this file to the target machine
Again start the registry editor (regedt32.exe) and move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares and select Shares.
From the Registry menu, select Restore and select the file you saved, e.g. shares.reg and click Open
Warning: You will lose all currently configured shares on the machine
You will prompted to continue, click Yes
Close the registry editor
Reboot the machine and once restarted you will see the new shares.

Sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back