Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacement of exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickss

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I am looking for opinions on what the best way is to replace an exchange server in operation? Here is the layout.

1 x exchange server, 75 users, 24 hours accessed.

- server name can change, this is not a big deal.

- server is being replaced due to age, their is nothing currently wrong with it.

- would like to upgrade to service pack2 in the mix

- Already have exchange installed on new box, and part
of the server group as the original server.

I have read through all of the documentation that microsoft has published, and find that they talk in broad circles on this particular subject (and give little technical info). I normally do an off hours replacement, by exporting mailboxes to .pst, and importing in new server .. but would like to try something different this time (you never learn doing the same old tricks). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

new server same org, move mailbox. Make sure you properly decommission the old server.

I assume in this manor I will have to re-point all of my clients to the new server as I move their mailboxes?

Thanks
Dennis

I assume in this manor I will have to re-point all of my clients to the new server as I move their mailboxes?

No, you will not need to touch the clients. Use the Move Mailbox wizard to move the users to the new server. Leave the old server intact until each user has connected to the new location. This will automatically update their profiles in Outlook.

Don't forget about moving your Public Folders. You will find this is easiest to set up a replica on the new server so it will just sync over and then break the replication and set the new server as the location for the public folders.

Direct mail delivery to the new server and properly decommision the old server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back