Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REPLACEMENT FOR ML370G1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renne2005

Technical User
Jan 22, 2005
US

I'M AFRAID I'M COMING TO THE END OF EASY AVAILABILITY OF ML370 PARTS. I'M LOOKING ON EBAY AND ALL I SEE IS PARTS FOR G2, G3, G4 AND G5. GUESS IT'S TIME TO MOVE UP. ANYWAY, I JUST WONDERED IF THERE IS A VERSION OF THE XEON PROCESSOR THAT CAN BE USED WITH THE ML370s(G1).

IF NOT, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY FAVORITES AMOUNG THE USED COMPAQ SERVERS OF A LATER VINTAGE THAT THEY WOULD RECOMMEND FOR A LAW OFFICE. WE USE THESE MACHINES AS WORK STATIONS BECAUSE THEY ARE PRACTICALLY BULLET-PROOF ONCE THEY ARE CONFIGURED, THE PARTS WERE CHEAP AND EASY TO GET AND WE LOVE THE EASE OF IN-HOUSE REPAIR. I WILL MISS THEM, BUT ONWARD AND UPWARD.

THANKS FOR ANY RECOMENDATIONS.

RENNE

If you use them for desktops, how cheap do you get the scsi drives?
Why not just get G2's? If this is a law office, I'm sure you can afford cheap desktops...
As for desktops, I have found Dell Optiplex to be bulletproof. As for servers, DL360's for desktops should be plenty. There shouldn't be a need for more than 2 drives and 2 procs.

Burt

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Burt: I have been getting the RAID drives, the Compaq ultra 3/18G 10K/15K for about $ 15.00/20.00 per in bunches on Ebay. I hardly ever have a drive failure. We have a ML370G2 as our server and it's been in service for 4 years and not one problem yet and it runs 24/7 because we all work at home on weekends/evenings and need access. The problem for using them as workstations is they are just too huge. This is the tower configuration and they must weigh 60/75 lbs. I do the maintenance on these and it's just too hard to horse around that much weight. Laddy: I'm going to look into both your suggestions re the 100s/150s. It's nice not to have to start from scratch. I appreciate getting the benefits of other people's experience. I really like the way the Compaqs are put together - hopefully the HPs are similar. Thanks.

Renne

(some times is just too tedious to hit the shift key and all lower case sorta looks like e.e. cummings :>)

I really like the way the Compaqs are put together - hopefully the HPs are similar."
Same thing---HP is Compaq!
Lad---good thinking...I was just in the same 300 range...forgot that there are smaller boxes...lol

Burt

Hi Renne
I also run a ML370 G1 and still have an open question not yet answered. I wonder if by chance you would know about this topic : I try to wake on lane the box and even when the original Compaq and HP specification sheets say that it is supported, I can't get this working.
I have monitored the WOL using a small program on the box side : the magic packets arrive correctly. But when the server is off there is no way to wake it up...:-(
Did you ever try this with your own box ?
thanks and best regards

Olivier

I would suggest that you ensure your NIC(s) are running the latest firmware for a start and even your OS running the latest NIC drivers also. You may also need to check within SmartStart that any WOL options are enabled (I can't remember off the top of my head whether there are any or not).

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Hello Thelad
Thanks for your hints..
I went thru all these steps already : very last bios and firmwares last driver. There is no WOL option anywhere in the Smartstart.
I'm curious to hear if anyone has been able to wake up that hardware anytime...

No sign of WOL in the BIOS... can't find any WOL mentioned anywhere else than in the server specifications :-(

According to the Technical Document for the ML370 G1:

(page 7-8) the option to switch on WOL is in RBSU under Advanced and the default is disabled.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Hello TheLad,
Thank you for your support.
Unfortunately this Technical Document is about ML370 G2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back