Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement External USB DVD for CM 5.2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemjauser

Technical User
Feb 16, 2011
US
Hi all,

A replacement external USB DVD for our CM is almost $300 from our BP. Is this something we can buy over the counter on our own, or is this particular make/model the only thing we can use. It seems rather expensive. I left the brand off this post soas not to break any rules, but would like to know if anyone has ever used multiple brands.

Thanks,

Isn't your system under warranty or Avaya maintenance? If it is, they should replace that at no cost.

No maintenance so no freebe. So maybe I'll have to pay the $300. But before I do, does anyone know the specifications for this USB DVD? Quite honestly, I'd rather get one from a retailer if I can save $200.00. It makes me feel better because I feel like Avaya gets so much money from us and my tiny bonus keeps getting smaller.

Thanks

Most units with an external power supply or extra usb splitter with the 2nd end plugged into your laptop will work. The extra cost for the Avaya unit is because it has an internal battery which will supply the extra couple mA's to the drive that the s8300 usb port alone will not provide to spin the drive. It's not just a crazy markup as the Avaya drive does have it's advantages.

-CL

the comcode for it is 700406267. there's a couple of used ones at 'that' auction site.

Cant use an "over the counter" model- no drivers. The drivers for the USB Modems are present in the CM CD.

Pony up the cash...

Secret solved
Avaya Com code 700406267
I cracked open the case hoping to find some info, nada on the board but the drive itself is Panasonic UL-870.
Googled 'external usb dvd drive with battery' returned a hit for DIGISTOR
The code on the bottom of the 'Avaya' one is DIG-73322-AVA
Put 2 and 2 together and came up with this hit which looks suprising similar to the Avaya branded one, assuming it's unchanged and just rebadged, this guy should work, take a punt.
$115 is a lot cheaper than $260, that's $145 for an Avaya com code...please explain Avaya?

PS AvayaInstaller, the drivers installed from the CM cd should just be bog standard Linux right, so assumption is any drive that supplies it's own power should work. I don't have time to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back