Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement chassis PCs level and bootloader 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman50

Technical User
Nov 17, 2007
GB
Hi guys

I am due to replace a faulty ipo 500v2 chassis.
the current software is 10.0.3

this was previously upgraded from 8.0 to 10.0 using 2 step upgrade to increase the boot loader.
Plds licence added.

Now the new replacement chassis says on the back its a PCS16.
when I use the DTE connection via Putty to see what the boot loader says it comes back with
P14 loader v1.35.

so my question is
1-if the sticker says its PCS16
what does that mean.

2- the P14 loader v1.35 is p14 the PCS number
what does that mean

3- boot loader--I have seen different boot loaders versions 1.32, 1.35, 1.40
how do I know which version I can use and when to expand the boot loader.

basically what is the correlation between the pcs and the boot loader versions.

I am sure the answer is simple but my brain is in a never ending loop and cant see it properly.

thanks for any replies.

IP500 V2 Control Unit
To support IP Office Release 9.1 or higher, PCS 14 or lower units must first install Release 8.1(65) (or higher 8.1)
or any Release 9.0 and then upgrade to Release 9.1 or higher. Care should be taken to ensure that no calls are
made before the final upgrade, otherwise the system will require upgrade license.

Link

ACSS (SME)

Hi TheSmash

Thanks for the reply.

I already have that info as I have already upgraded the system from 8 to 9 to 10 last year and know this process.

I have to replace the chassis with another one from Avaya..PCS16
I am looking for information relating to the different boot loader levels and what they mean in you can help.

PCS is a hardware revision, Boot Loader will be related the the software loaded on the unit.

If you want to know more I suspect you'll need to ask Avaya. Generally speaking you don't need to worry about it unless you are upgrading from particular versions of hardware. The document linked explains the process (which you have already followed).

ACSS (SME)

Ok the boot loader on the new chassis system was at v1.35 .
when the SD card was installed the system took about 10 minutes to come back up.

Now the boot loader has changed to v1.40

so when using software 10.0 it expands the boot loader to v1.40
boot loader version v1.35 is the pre version required to get to release 10.
I now remember this as I had to upgrade to release 9 on the old system which was at 8.0 bootloader v1.32.
when upgrading to 9 the boot loader changed to v1.35.which expands the boot loader memory space.

I still don't get the PCS numbers as this system says its PCS16 and another system says PCS14 both with boot loader v1.35.
I am assuming its to do with the chassis hardware as you have stated.

thanks for the help

When you boot a V2 with an SD card you will notice it can take different lengths of time to become accessible. This is because it is clever and does the necessary steps to get it from what it is on to what is on the SD card.

| ACSS SME |

PCS means Production Change Status, what level of hardware iteration it was manufactured at. See section 13.15 of the doc that TheSmash linked to.

That will have included the version of the original bootloader that was put on the hardware at manufacturing, BUT the bootloader can be upgraded later - and IP Office normally hides that process from you during a firmware upgrade (except for the time it may take). Avaya will tell you about the times it needs to change before an upgrade, sometimes they'll tell you why - one I remember was about re-arranging the on-board FLASH storage (but that was IP400 days, and in the really early days bootloader upgrades were 'fun'), but there's not much you can do about it so it doesn't really matter.

It's a bit like upgrading the BIOS on your PC - only much easier (now, on the IP500/Ip500 V2) - the hardware version doesn't change, but now the BIOS/Bootloader is different.

Thanks guys.

I think I have got the hang off it now..[thanks]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back