Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacement CD for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
My XP won't boot and I have long since not had its Install CD. Through a convoluted use of my other computer, a Linux boot rescue CD, and a large portable USB drive I was able to run CHKDSK on a copy of the bad boot partition (chkdsk made a jillion corrections -- ran for 20-30 minutes), copy that corrected partition from the USB drive back to the bad computer, and run TeskDisk from the Rescue CD to verify MBR and boot records. That eliminated the Blue Screen of Death but still wouldn't boot.

I got a bootup message that HAL.DLL was bad and I successfully copied a good replacement. Now my NTOSKRNL.EXE is bad. I find it's near impossible to find any downloads of that system file. Plus my money is on, that even if I could install a good replacement, it is just the opening of a slew of corrupt system files.

I think I can find a new certified XP install CD and here (finally!) is my question: Will the new CD give me any problems with its key code? Or if need be can I use the original CD key code stamped on the computer case? Will the new CD allow me to run a Repair action rather than a new Install? Am I correct: Repair fixes system files but doesn't mess with data or 3rd party programs? Does it leave the Registry intact (needed if the saved application programs are worth anything)?

Seems simple on the surface, but I'm paranoid over possible Bill Gates' gotchas being buried in there somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

Rod B.

What version is your XP, what does it say on the sticker? What CD are you planning on buying? If you have a XP Pro COA on the PC, then you should be able to do a Repair install which will in fact allow your programs and data to be intact.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

It's Windows XP Home Edition, with SP3... I think...

Rod B.

The problem would be if this is an OEM, (dell,hp,acer) or 3rd party build? You can't purchase xp disks from brick and mortar stores anymore, and if you could, none of those would work with a code from an OEM device. If it is OEM, and as painful as this sounds, call the manufacturer and get a set of restore disks, it will cost you for the disks. And there most likely won't be a repair action, it will just overwrite everything. But in some cases I have seen some of the newer XP restore disks, actually attempt a repair of the OS.

In the case of the system being built by a third party, or a friend, and the system does not have a COA that says OEM, you could buy (if you can still locate one) the same version of xp that the code is for and attempt the install over the existing windows, don't do <R> for restore, it will assume you know what you are doing from a dos console, and have a backup from which to restore from, just go through the same steps as you would to install xp fresh, and it will locate the installed version of xp, and ask if you would like to repair it, answer yes.

Thanks.
How do you know if it is OEM? "OEM" is not in the key code nor anywhere on the sticker.

It's a Dell computer so by the normal definition it is OEM. But I always thought "OEM" in this instance refers to software Microsoft gave to the manufacturer for their internal use -- which they might or might not later distribute it with a system; and "non-OEM" was software from Microsoft that was installed on a machine only for retail sale. But I could be 100% wrong...

Rod B.

Dell will be OEM, but the key that was used in the initial install and from the restore disks, will not be the code from the COA, it will be a volume license code used for every single dell laptop of that model. OEM, in the case of Microsoft OS, is not given to the OEMs, it is sold but at a reduced fee compared to the full license OS sold in stores. And it is also tied to that product and can't be transferred to another. Check here:

I've been able to install XP on several different Dell models using my one XP install disk. Unfortunately it is a early version and requires SPs to bring systems up to date. (Could probably slipstream to later but haven't tried yet)

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Just use a XP CD and your COA and you will be fine. If your sticker is unreadable but you can still log in, run Belarc Advisor and it will tell you what your current COA key is.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Thanks all. If I got an XP install CD does it have to be XP-SP3 like my corrupt computer is? Or can I use an earlier XP CD and still run a Repair using the keycode on my computer (as opposed to any that comes with the CD) like edfair says? If this works I assume I would then have to (should) download and install SP3, but this is not a problem.

I'm not talking about or using any illegal XP.

And thanks for clearing up "OEM." I understand it is MS O/S sold to OEMs at a discounted price and that the OEMs install and handle the authorization process so that it's ready to go when sold.

Rod B.

It is possible that the installation will not accept the key code from your computer. My experience with "OEM" versions indicated that codes were keyed to a specific SP level.

The OEMS that I have dealt with installed a key code during the install that was their corporate one and the drive was cloned for the production run. The sticker was there for "proof of purchase" and to use for re-install.

Those that I've re-installed using the attached sticker have generally required upgrades to get SP current, then possibly 100+ hot fixes.

As a matter of practice I mark the key code sticker with the level of install CD required to use it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back