Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replaceing CS1000 in the next 24 months. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jryker

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2013
US
Who here is starting to or has replaced their CS1000? What are you looking at and why?

Nothing wrong with ours but we are starting to evaluate our communication needs for the next 10+ years. Clearly we are looking at VoIP and moving to SIP. We have 500 users at corporate office on the CS1000 using AT&T Digilink (ADL) and 10 satellite offices running BCM50’s through local telcos. Looking at something that integrates well across offices yet be self-sustainable. Looking for skills based routing and detailed reporting.

Quick short list is:
Avaya – natural since they are the incumbent
Cisco – All our networking equipment is Cisco and we have good VAR support
Mitel – We run VMWare in about 99% of the organization. Looks like VMWare has a relationship with Mitel that may be helpful.
Shoretel – up and comer but I worry about them long term
Microsoft Lync – I like a lot of that I see them doing but not sure since new to the game. Being that we are A) already a MS house and B) already own the licenses for everything. Do they have the features a traditional system has?

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts. What did you do, where are you going, ect.

CS1000 users who would like to possibly keep their investments (and solid working Nortel/Avaya products)might want to look into the Genband Experius application server. I don't think the CS1000 app is released yet but what I read about it sounds like a real possibility for keeping the CS1000 equipment.

WE have just finished upgrading 7 CS1000 PBXs and Opt 11s to release 7.6. Some were from 7.0 and some from 4.5. All of the upgrades went well and the systems work just fine. We also use the Avaya System/Session manager, rel 6.3.8, for SIP routing and it seems to do an adequate job, no real complaints except the poor support from Avaya when needed. That kind of applies to all of their products though. As for me I would keep the Nortel Platform and just upgrade it. I know Avaya keeps threatening to end sales and support, but there is still a huge installed base world wide out there. You have to wonder if Avaya is really going to chance loosing the revenue from that on the gamble that they will all go "Red". Sure some will but my money would be on them loosing a very large portion of that market. If you are concerned about real reliability it is not Voip. TDM and Analog are far more reliable. They are also much easier to trouble shoot if required. Voip adds many new layers of equipment into your phone network, all of which are potential failure points.

I would continue to leverage your existing Nortel/Avaya CS1000 investment, and extend that to your remote locations.

CS1000's aren't going away anytime soon. The existing install base is too large for Avaya to walk away from and risk sending that business to the competition.

That said - for systems in our footprint, I'm seeing Norstar MICS being replaced by Cisco CME's or Avaya IPO's. Nortel 61C's being replaced with Cisco CUCM/CUC. We dismantled our internal Nortel telephony systems for MS Lync as we're a MS partner as well.

I thought I read or heard that the Department of Defense had a HUGE contract with Nortel installing CS1000E release 5.5 PBXs all over the place.
I wonder what their strategy is or if they had "special support contracts" initiated by the Nortel when they won that government bid.

It's unfortunate that we're not even into year 5 of our huge investment and were already held hostage in not only upgrade ransoms but even the overall Nortel blue end of life (not to mention MS Server 2003, Call Pilot/reporter, Multi Media Conference Server, etc., etc.).

Our Rolm 9751 system lasted 20+ years with really one major upgrade from 9004 to 9005 release and a new Phonemail upgrade (I know, different times, TDM vs IP and UC).

I guess it really doesn't matter now as I am hearing that all of our sites will be eventually converted to Cisco VoIP with Voice Gateways.

jryker - This thread is long winded, but thought I would throw in a couple of comments in support for Shoretel.

We are a Hybrid system of Nortel and Shoretel. You make a comment that Shoretel is a up and coming company. Shoretel has been around for a while and is pretty established, and if you look at their financials, they are good too. I see comments all the time that Shoretel is overlooked because someone is looking to be Hybrid with IP and Analog - Well... Shoretel can do that.

Done with the Shoretel Kick! Nothing will ever replace the stability of what Nortel gave us, but eventually you will need to kick the tires and find a replacement. The E-Metrotel looks intriguing, but Cisco in my book is the one to be Leary of... Expensive, Cumbersome, Extensive Training...

Funk49- That govt contract is with SSA. They installed CS1K in each SSA office worldwide. The contract was won by Nortel Gov, which in turn was Avayagov and now Avaya. Its the worlds largest VOIP network. I think there are still 4 more years left on the 10 year contract they have.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back