Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replaced motherboard PROBLEM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbnlk

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
US
Just replaced a "dead" motherboard (identical). Using XP. Everything works fine except my digital camera. System is unable to recognize USB connection when camera is connected. Have troubleshot all camera software problems. I think it has to do with the removable drive setup which by the way doesn't activate. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!

What is your m/b brand and model ?

Maybe you can reinstall USB Drivers for your board.

OR :

1)Remove your camera
2)Uninstall the Camera drivers
3)Reinstall USB drivers
4)Plug the camera
5)When prompt for the drivers, insert your CD drivers or fresh ones from the internet...

--------------------------------
LongStar
"If everything seems to be going
well, you obviously don't know what
the hell is going on !" (Murphy)

The motherboard is a 850 Lexington (gateway computer) with a P4-178 1.8Ghz processor.

It’s not a camera software problem!!! Been there, done that! Even cleared the registry. Also, spent 45mins on the phone with Olympus tech support, they don't have a clue.

I've uninstalled all USB controllers and USB hubs in device manager and let XP rebuild them. Mouse, printer, scanner work fine. I've also changed USB connections to eliminate a bad one.

The PNP for the USB camera connection just doesn't work on this system now. It's not the camera or the cable because I've tested it on another computer.

Still think it's related to the removable drive. XP recognizes cameras as a removable disk and maps them with a drive letter. And that’s not happening.

Are you talking about integrated usb ports or front usb ports ?
If it's second solution, did you check your internal wire plugs ? Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Both intregrated and front USB ports work fine I've checked using my printer.

Any additional ideas are welcome.

Thanks!!

Replacing the motherboard is usually a big no-no in terms of Windows XP. I'm surprised your computer was able to get into Windows at all as even though your new M/B is the same model, it carries a unique serial code then the last one. Windows XP takes note of all parts of your computer by serial code and according to Microsoft, allows you to switch out several parts without complaining. Unfortunately the motherboard is one of those parts where Windows seems to complain with. I would suspect that you will have to reload Windows XP entirely, and I mean wiping out the hard drive and starting from scratch.

Good Luck!
Jisoo22

I had a simlar problem with a Sony cybershot. The problem was that the camera always chose the drive letter E. Every thing worked fine until the day I connected to a network drive and chose the letter E. From that point even though I received the icon in the taskbar that a device was connected I could not see it in explorer, plus the window did not pop asking what I wanted to do with the camera.Hope this helps.

I don't think it's the motherboard switch. I've just (last week) changed my motherboard (from Soyo to Gigabyte) and XP updated just fine. I did have to re-activate but have had no problems with drivers or anything. I have had a similar problem with the usb connection for my Minolta. It was a drive letter problem as Nadiazipper suggests. In my case I added Nero's virtual DVD drive and it installed as the same drive letter as my Minolta removable. Once I removed the DVD the camera worked again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back