Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replaced failing CallPilot 150 Mini with refurbished unit; users can't retrieve their voicemails

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbbystew

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2018
US
Replaced a CallPilot150 Mini that was failing with a refurbished unit.
Successfully initialized and restored from backup.
System answers our phones just fine. Calls get forwarded to proper extension.
I tested and was able to leave a message for myself.
My phone (Nortel) tells me I have a message.

Press MSG button, LCD screen says Feature:981.
Never get a prompt to enter my password.
Then screen says EXIT
And then it goes back to telling me I have a message.

I'm assuming it is some random setting but darn if I know where it is.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Go into Mailbox then ADD Mailbox and see how many mailboxes it is licenses for.

If the replacement Callpilot only had a license for 10 mailboxes then only the first 10 users on the list will work.

Backups do not backup the key code since the keycode is tied to only that cabinet.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

If you key in F981 manually, what do you get? The "message for you" on the screen might be left over from the previous Call Pilot.

Marv ccna

CurlyCord, I am licensed for 54 mailboxes. I have 57. The mailbox in question is #10.
Pressing F#65 did indeed remove the message that I have a voice mail.

But that isn't the problem. I intentionally left myself a voice mail dialing in using
the new system. The problem is I can't access that voice mail to hear it. So folks
are getting messages they have a voice mail but they can't access them.

Allworx guy, when I manually press F981 the screen displays "feature: 981" - does not prompt for a password - and then says exit. And returns to the screen that says I have a message.

MooreTel, I F#65 does delete the voice mail. When I call in an leave a new message for myself, I am not able to access the voice mail.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Any other ideas?

F#65 does not remove voicemail. It removes the "Message for you" ikn the screen ONLY if someone has left the internal indication that they want you to call them.
When you say that you manually press F981, do you mean you're pushing a button that was supposedly programmed for F981, OR are you manually pressing "Feature", then 981. It shouldn't say or show F981, it should show log or password. What model of phone are you using?

1. What software level is the old unit?
2. What software level is the new unit?
3. You left the software cards alone in their own units and just did a restore from web browser?
4. Did you take the software card from old unit and place it into the new unit? - This method would have worked in a normal situation

The normal method is to make sure the new unit has enough licenses against it's serial number then take the software out of the failed unit and install it into the new unit.

If the new unit has older software and you did not swap software's yet then try to upgrade the new unit's software with the old software.
Steps:
-Power down the new unit
-Install the old software into the front slot
-Power up and wait for the upgrade to complete, about 10 minutes or watch process with hyper terminal or putty etc.
-Test F981
-Power down
-Remove old software
-Power up

If this method did not work then try to restore from your backup again.....this time you would be restoring to the same software level that it backed up from.
If still no go then replace new software with the old software - You could try this first but might as well upgrade the new software if it's older.
If still no go then do a REINSTALL to wipe all then restore from backup.

If this did work then you now have a backup software card.

Almost out of ammo!

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

MooreTel, I am using a Nortel phone. Think the model is NT8B27JAAA. At least that is what is on back of phone. And yes, I am pressing the Feature button and then 981, and the screen does NOT say login or password. It says 981 and then it exits.

CurlyCord, I left the software cards in their respective CP units and did the restore from the web browser. The "new" unit has a manufacture date two years newer than the unit I'm replacing.

the company that sold me the replacement CP suggested I reboot the KSU. Did that. No change.

Now trying to reboot the old CP unit one last time to check some settings and licenses. Not sure that is going to work because it can take over an hour to be seen on the network and accessible. Can connect via serial cable but my knowledge with that is very limited.

The "new" unit has a manufacture date two years newer than the unit I'm replacing."

I am asking about the software cards and not the units.

The software cards have the version written on them.
Examples: 2.0 , 2.5, 3.0, 3.1

So questions remain:
1. What software level is the old unit?
2. What software level is the new unit?

Rebooting is not going to help this issue.

Why don't you just go ahead and put the old software into the new one (power down first) and see if it works.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

CurlyCord:
I did as you suggested and simply swapped out the software cards.
Turned off the replacement unit - replaced the software card which says 2.0 with the
software card from the failed unit which says 1.5 - and restarted the system.
No change.
Still can't access voice mails that are left. You'll get a message that a voice mail is there; press Feature 981 . . . screen shows 981 for a few seconds, then says exit.

The person who sold me this unit said I would have to do a VM reset. I've asked him what he means by that (I assumed rebooting was a reset). Would you know what that means?

We've tried contacting a local vendor who might have experience with these old systems but we haven't heard back.

And yes, we'll start looking for a new phone/voice mail system this year.
Our workaround has been to tell callers we are having technical difficulties and to not leave voicemails.

Thank you for your time.

A reset in the case of Callpilot is factory default or Reinstall

Per above
"If still no go then do a REINSTALL to wipe all then restore from backup."

When logged in via the phone press 1 then enter the password.
When logged in via browser go to Operations.
This is covered in the Setup and Operation Guide including the password.

First put back the 2.0, 1.5 is too buggy.

Once you have done the reinstall maybe leave a test message in mailbox 10 first then see if 981 works, if so then do the restore and test again.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

CurlyCord:

Well we know what the problem is. It is mailbox licensing.
Did as you instructed and put the 2.0 software card into the replacement unit. Did a REINSTALL and it created 10 mailboxes. Voicemail system works when you have only 10 mailboxes. Able to leave voicemail and retrieve it. And when you go to Add Mailbox, it says "10 Subscriber mailboxes". And you have options for a Subscriber or an Information box.

When I restore, we then have 54 Subscriber mailboxes. When you go to ADD Mailboxes it says "-54". No option to install Subscriber mailboxes.
And then voicemail doesn't work.

So the keycodes for the additional mailboxes are not part of the backup.

And we don't have a record of the keycode from our original system. I've got the purchase order from 2003 as proof of original ownership. The company which sold us the unit, D&E Communications, was sold over 5 years ago to Windswept. Windswept seems to be an internet service provider and no longer provides telcom services. On this forum under another thread, there is a discussion about contacting Avaya support and trying to get a new keycode based on our proof of original ownership of the original unit. It would appear that we need to find a vendor that can contact Avaya and handle this transaction for us as Avaya won't deal with end users. Vendors only.

Just posting all this for anyone else following this thread. If anyone can suggest a vendor that still works with CallPilots and Avaya in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area or Maryland or Delaware or New Jersey, feel free to drop me a line here.

Thanks everyone for your efforts on my behalf.

Yes we knew the key codes were the issue from the get go above, very first reply.

Your issue is with the new Callpilot, you need to contact who sold you that one and not the old company of the original unit, it's done with so forget about it....support has ended on it.
As I said keycodes are tied to the serial number on the unit so they codes from the old will not work on any other unless when it was supported you create a ticket with Avaya and they migrate it but as said no more support.
The new one appears to have only 10 mailbox licenses so you need to add 45 more or ask who sold it to you if they have the keycode.

Solicitation, posting emails and passwords not permitted here on the forum.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

We bought the replacement CallPilot from a company through Amazon. They don't have any keycodes.
They are offering to look for a CallPilot unit that has more than 10 mailboxes on it. As they warned, probably significantly more than what we paid for this unit from Amazon.

Thanks for your information. It has been enlightening. Perhaps, in the short term, we will go back to having a receptionist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back