Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace the image from a different one

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYSNET

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
LK
I want to replace an image size 300px by 75px from an image(size=400px ,250px). First I create a new file(size 300px,75) and then select the image and copy and paste in the new file. Is this the way correct or if wrong please correct it. Thanks

Is the resolution of the image you are replacing the same as the one you are replacing it with?

Yes, the resolution is same. Actually this is for the web.
Thanks

You are going to have problems, since the two images are not in the same proportions (width by height).

With the new image of 400 x 250px open in Photoshop, go to Image>Image Size and enter '300' in the width box. If the 'Constrain Proportions' box is checked, you will see the new height becomes 188px, not the desired 75px. If you don't mind the picture becoming out of proportion, leave the CP box unchecked and you can enter any measurement you like for the height. However, the image will look 'squashed'.

Your other choice is to crop the height down to 75px once you have reduced the width in proportion. This will of course lose some pixels from the image but at least it will not look squashed.

Alternately, depending on the content of your photograph you can "Fill in" the extra area using the clone tool . i.e. if there is sky in the background you can enlarge that to fill the space.

Hello Eggles,

I did your second choice. I want to know which one is better.Thanks.

It totally depends on the subject matter in the image. But generally it is better to crop to the right size and maintain the proportions than it is to change the proportions of the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back