Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace MMail

Status
Not open for further replies.

molotovich

Technical User
Nov 19, 2010
MX
I have a customer which has in operation a MMail composed of three cards (Part No. NTAK13AA, NTAK14BA and NTAK15AB)

Tha problem this customer is experiencing is that the MMail shuts itself down after a period of time, then goes back up, and according to him, the downtimes are getting larger, so Im proposing to replace it.

I have available these part numbers:

NT6D41BA Meridian Mail Modular GP Power Supply DC

NT6P04xx MER. Mail UP4 PCBA

NT6P08xx Meridian Mail VP8 PCBA

NT6P42xx Utility Pack without Modem

NT6R15xx Entopia PC Pack MMP400 MODOP EC

NT6R16xx PC Pack Entopia MMP40 Cardop

NT6P01AA Meridian Mail Modular EC Module DC

NT6P05xx 2.5GB Tape Drive Unit

NT6P07xx Meridian Mail Hard Drive Unit EC/EC11

NTDK74xx CARD OPTION DISK DRIVE U/O NT6R16BA

And I dont know which one should be used for this Job, its a three card system and apparently the available spares are all 1 card.

Please help, thanks

The parts that you have listed are for the larger Meridian Mail systems. The item codes that you have mentioned are for the Option 11 platform and you have a "Card" option Meridian Mail system. i.e.

NTAK13AA = MAIL POWER BOARD

NTAK14BA = MMAIL CARD OPTION 68K CPU CARD

NTAK15AB = (2 port Voice card?)

It sounds odd the fault that you have as usually it's either the Power unit or disk that goes. There are times when we have to reset the AML link and reboot the mail due to a glitch.

The first thing I'd do is to get a complete backup done via a tape drive.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Yeah, I thought it might probably be the power unit. But if it needs replacement what you said means i can't use ANY of these options I have?

Thanks for your time and patience

Also make sure that you write down the keycodes so if you do have to re-install the mail you can. Like firebird said I would take a hard look at the hard drive needing replacing.

Hawks, David, and Molo are telling you that you need to get going before this unit fails completely. It will! Go into tools and get all of the system information. Find the System tape and set it aside. Get a NEW blank backup tape, and back that baby up when it's quiet. Sounds like a hard drive is failing. Is it making a loud whirring noise? Might as well replace it.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

If the hard disk fails.... there will be no replacement.

SCSI drives are still available. As we have all stated, you still need to get hold of a SCSI tape drive. I know these things are slow to run, but ask anyone if they rather spend 2 hours reloading a mail system via tape to 2 or more days starting from a blank canvas.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Have you tried selling them an upgrade to CallPilot?

If it was on my hands, I would have sold them a callpilot ages ago, unfortunately im on outsourcing, so I cant do nothing about it.

And well, I spoke to my manager today and he says that if the SCSI is broken, then they will sell the upgrade to the customer. But I have to try to repair it.

Thanks for the help and feedback

Oh I understand... just that working 4.3 GB SCSI drives and Tandenberg tape drives are getting harder to get a hold of. Just a matter of ensuring uptime to the customer if they have a drive failure.

You should be able to find the hardware needed for this and I would also get another one just for backup if there is no upgrade planed anytime soon. what might be hard to find is the Install Tape if you do not have yours. Question will Avaya let you go to the Call Pilot without upgrading the whole switch? I did not think they would do that because I'm sure the software level they're at now is probably not supported anymore. Just curious

To be proactive...get a flashlight & possible a mirror and see if you can get the SCSI drive Model & size.

Ah, just go on ebay and look for a Seagate 4.3 SCSI drive. Try to get a new or referb. Don't get used, since there are many that have thousands of hours of use. SCSI are so reliable, and are used in only the best equipment.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

The Seagate ST34520N is one of the last hard drives Nortel used on Meridian Mail systems. They will work on all types of Meridian Mail and also work with IPE versions of Meridian Max and CCR. I believe the N stands for narrow SCSI. Find one of these or a hard drive with the same specifications and at least 1Gig in size. If sectors on the hard drive are failing there is a chance that even successful backups will fail to restore so prepare for the worst.

A card option Meridan Mail system going in and out of service on its' own can also be caused by:

1) The AML link going up and down. This can be caused by defective SSC card on the Option 11C side (cpu with an 11 or 11E).

2) A defective power board in the Meridian Mail system causing Voice Mail to reboot.

3) or about 50 other things. Good Luck.

@TelecomNemo Im really vouching for your option #2, unfortunately the customer requested the ticket to be pushed until next year, just as I received the replacement cards, so there's nothing more I can do for now.

Thanks a lot for your input and Tips, when we check this baby in January I will tell you guys what went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back