Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replace hyphen with a different character

Status
Not open for further replies.

myatia

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
Hi,

I went through about a million different fonts, and finally found one I like for the body text of a magazine I'm doing. However, I don't really like its hyphens. They're slanty and just kind of look weird. Is there a way I could get InDesign to automatically use another hyphen, perhaps from a different font set? The text is most likely going to be auto-hypenated, so I want InDesign to use the hyphen that I pick out. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Misty

Have you tried using the em-space or en-space instead of the hyphen? Sometimes they can give a better visual effect than the keyboard hyphen. On a PC, Alt 0150 or Alt 0151.

Matthew

After you complete the document, you can do a 'find and replace'. 'Find and replace' can affect text styles in addition to just replacing plain text.

- - picklefish - -

But will find and replace replace the hyphens that are automatically put in when you hyphenate a line? I don't think it will do that. I'll check it out, though.

Thanks,

Misty

Use 'find and replace' in conjunction with en- and em-dashes.

Sorry - I meant to follow the thought of Mattblack's previous post just in case the en- and em-dashes are as poor looking as the hyphen in your font.

- - picklefish - -

The em- and en-dashes look perfectly normal, which is frustrating. I don't think I'm going to try to script the hyphen change, as my deadline on this project is pretty tight as it is, and I just started working with InDesign. I might look into replacing the hyphen using a program like Fontographer. Does anyone know if there's a cheap shareware program that'll do this?

Thanks,

Misty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back