Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace Harddisk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Jul 22, 2006
AU
Hi, I need some help... I have an IBM laptop running XP with 34 GB harddisk and it was getting full. I brought another 80 GB hard disk and had copied the image across and reboot ok. The laptop is ok.

I put the old HD (34 GB) in an external enclosure via USB 2.0. It can be detected by the system. But it is not showing up in the Administrative Sevice/Storage Managemen. (I can only see the new hard disk.) Checked the System, the USB enclusre is working ok, but there is no device driver! Tried to reinstall drivers - disk.sys and partmgr.sys.

Can someone help me to resolve this?

By the way, I have other USB device and they all work ok, including another external harddisk.

Check that the HDD is jumpered to Master or Single drive.

You said "the USB enclosure is working ok, but there is no device driver!". Has this USB enclosure been tested on this particular laptop, but with a different HDD in it? And as far as I'm aware you don't usually need to install device drivers to get an external USB enclosure working under XP.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thank you for the advice. Jumper setting - has been set to Master or Slave but still no good.
The test of the external enclosure is a good suggestion.
Will try later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back