Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace Call Pilot 201i Hard drive with Non-Nortel provided 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedmomrik

MIS
Apr 16, 2003
US
We had a customer loose the hard drive on a 201i Call Pilot. They had a brand new Western Digital 40GB ATA 133, which matched all the specs from drive that was on the card. We installed it and reloaded the disk with Call Pilot 4.0 and everything seemed fine. One of the sites IT people decided that if it was a server, he needed to turn on automatic updates, and that's when we noticed the C: partition was filling up with the update files, and it was only sized at 4GB. When we contacted another site with a 201i, we found their partitions were exactly the opposite.
Does Nortel code the drive that comes from them so you can use an off the shelf model? Has anyone installed a non-Nortel provided drive, and gotten it to work successfully, or do you have to get it from them?

Had a 201i die on me doing an Release 4 upgrade two years ago on a Sunday. Went to the local computer store and purchased same size drive and installed fine. I also turned off windows automatic updates and only installed updates as per Nortel.

1st Rule. Do NOT enable the auto updates. NTP states that the acllpiot should not have access to the internet. All updates to take place via the service updates or pre-authorised (individual) MS updates.

Virus scanning should be limited and again virus library updates to be applied manually.

IT departemnst must remember that it is not standrad MS Windows on the CallPilot but a Telecoms tuned version.

As I have told Network teams before, it may look like windows, but it is infact a Telephone system. Hands OFF.

Thanks for the inputs. We contacted one of our other sites that is still all the OEM equipment from Nortel running the same version of Call Pilot (4.0), and their drive partions were exactlly the same. Stopping the auto-updates seemed to have fixed the problems. It looks like Nortel finally realized in release 5.0 that the Server 2003 needs a larger partion to operate efficiently.

These servers operate just fine on the partition size that Nortel sends out. I have several that have been operating for years without a problem.

It's the people that know servers that are dangerous. I had a situation where the customer had ghosted an image of the 702 server and they did not maintain backups. One day it would not boot because of something on the C partition so they wanted to ghost it back to the image they had. Well that was 2 years ago and they would lose all their messages.

They wanted to mess around in the BIOS for some reason and I told them that they very well know servers better than I do but that this was a Nortel product and that I knew it better than they did. I asked if they could restore the C partition only and they said they could. We restored the c partition off of the ghost image and it all came up and they lost no messages.

My point is that if you don't know the CallPilot specifically then keep your hands out of the system level functions. This is a proprietary piece of equipment and not a normal standard server. Hardware may be off the shelf but the software is not.

It's funny how every one thinks they know how a server needs to be set up as opposed to Nortel. Take Symposium... We need raid 1 but the server guys always set it up for raid 5. Why can't they ever just give us what we ask for?

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

tnphoneman..once again here is your star.amen brother.i
could not say it any better.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back