Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REPEATING PANEL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewbruno

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2000
GB
I have databases joined as follows. CUSTOMER - PRODUCT - WORKS ORDER. Joins are both 1 to many.

I have a form based on the CUSTOMER database with a repeating panel which is based on the WORKS ORDER database. There is an order status field in the WORKS ORDER database, with possible values of 1,2 or 3.

I want to be able to show just the orders with order status 1 in this panel. The only way I am able to do this is by going to the form and carrying out a second find.

I only use macros and not LotusScript. Any help greatly appreciated.

PS Is there an easy way of learning LotusScript for beginners ?

Andrew Bruno

Add a field containing a 1 to the customer database and add that to the join by joining it to the order status field. That will restrict the panel to just those record with status = 1.

We usually suggest you learn LotusScript by studying examples - the "Rooms" SmartMaster has some very interesting ones. And you will find examples in messages on forums like the one at HelpTalk, XpertSS.com, and the Lotus discussion groups.

Sue Sloan

Thanks again for replying to my request so promptly.
I have tried your suggestion, but am told by Approach that I am trying to create a circular join. CUSTOMER database is joined to PRODUCT and PRODUCT is then joined to WORKS ORDER. I cannot join CUSTOMER direct to WORKS ORDER.

Any further help much apreciated.

Andrew Bruno

Go to the Join dialog and click on customer, then the Alias button, and now you can join the alias of customer to the work order table.

Sue Sloan

i have a database to process works orders. there are 30 name fields in use
named "operator 1", "operator 2"... to "operator 30".
what i want to do is to create one list of names, then, when entering records all i will need to do is tab to the first name field, cursor down to the required name in order to enter it.

i assume i will need to use a join, but cannot interpret the instruction in the help file, nor in the Most Complete Reference book.

can anybody explain, in layman's terms [ ie he's as thick as two short planks] how i could achive the above?

thanks in advance

nagan

The simplest way to go is to define your name field as a "drop-down list" type of field on the Basics page of the properties dialog. Then type the 30 possible values into the dialog you see when you click the "Define List" button on that page.

You could also define a new table and enter your operator names into a series of records. I would add a field named LINK and fill it with a default value of X and add a similar field named LINK to your database that is the main one for your form where you want the list to work. Fill all existing records with an X in LINK. Then join the databases on the LINK field. Remove all the join options. You can now set up your "drop-down list" field to get its values from your new table instead of typing in the list.

Sue Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back