Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeated "Login failed" errors in SQLSvr.err file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohernan

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
Hi,

We're using CE 8.0 on a W2K Server (Service Pack 2). The reports connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database on a separate machine. In the \WINNT\Crystal\SQLSvr.err file I see this message over and over again:

SQL Server Message
Number : 18456
State : 1
Severity: 14
Text : Login failed for user 'crystalreportuser'.
Server :

What is the cause of this? I've seen this message since we deployed CE, but have ignored it as the reports usually run ok with no problems. I'm wondering if I should be concerned with this or not.

Thanks,
-Oliver

Well, I resorted to Crystal Decision's email tech support, so I'll just post their response to my question:

"So long as everything is running just fine, I would not pay much mind to this. Certain applications log an exceptional amount of activity. With CE, when an attempt is made to view a report, there is actually several
database 'touches' (as I call them) before the final conenction is made and this could be causing this logging.

One other thing you may try is give the CrytalReportUser account Domain Admin rights. This will open it up without presenting a security risk (since users can not impersonate services).

I am guessing that this is the account that the Page and Job Server(s) are running under to allow for the connecting to the SQL Server in the domain.

I hope this information helps you out."

I have another note on this. We upgraded from SQL Server 7 to 2000, and apparently 2000 logs to the NT Event log more than 7 did. In it, I now see login failures for our reports userid 'crystalreportuser' while attempting to access the *master* database. Why is CE trying to log the reports userid into the master database? I'm assuming that this is the cause of these same errors appearing in the SQLSvr.err file, as we of course do not grant the reports userid access to the master database. Should we grant our reports userid access to the master database on our SQL Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back