Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeated message: "cannot connect to server" when accessing internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahooka

Technical User
Jan 8, 2000
US
Visit site
Whenever I access Internet Explorer, I recieve an error message stating: "cannot connect to server". I have no trouble accessing the internet through AOL, however. Several of my other windows programs (i.e. realplayer, etc.) also give the above message when I attempt to access the internet via them. Please help me find a solution to this problem...thanks.

Wahooka,<br>
<br>
Are you using a dialup connection or accessing over a LAN.<br>
<br>
If it is a dialup, try reinstalling TCP/IP Dialup adapter. AOL offers its own adapter to connect to the internet, so this wouldn't affect AOL. Also, check the DNS settings you have set for the server you are connecting to, make sure that they are correct.<br>
<br>
If you are using a LAN, Make sure that IE is looking for a LAN to connect to, Not a dialup connection.<br>
<br>
I hope this helps you.<br>
<p> Matthew Blyde<br><a href=mailto:mblyde@becon.org>mblyde@becon.org</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I work for tech support for a local isp and 9 times out of 10 when you have aol and a regular isp at the same time aol adapters are what is causing your problem. If you were to remove them and do what mblyde suggested i'm pretty sure that would solve the problem. Also if you have windows 95 your wsock32.dll file may be corrupt but im not sure if that is the case because im not sure what AOL uses...it may be the same file and if one is working then it wouldnt be the winsock file.

The ISP person is correct, just remove the aol adapter and you should be fine, it seems that AOL has one thing that its good for its the IM.

PS In the words of Kevin Spacy &quot;I RULE&quot;!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back