Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repartioning Drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotsLass

MIS
Sep 9, 2003
US
I have a Dell XPS machine that has a physical drive which
was partioned into two drives (C & D) with 2GB space each.
I wish to repartition the physical drive again making
it 4GB. How can I do this?

If you want to do it without data loss (ie, reinstalling o/s), you'll need something like Partition Magic (and should still back up what you can't afford to lose first).

Otherwise, its a case of backup, remove both partitions and create a new one (depends on o/s - fdisk/format for win9x/ME, the install disk's partitioning tools for nt/2k/xp).

Thank you for your tip, Wolluf. Just one more thing, how
do I remove a partition? I looked at FDISK and I could
not find it there>

It's option 3 from the main menu, I believe. Delete partition should be the choice, if memory serves me correctly.

In light of the two posts above, can I merely delete a partition and leave all my files intact? Here is the situation: I have partitions A, B, C, and D. I am using partition A for all my files and programs. It is now too small; I am willing to delete B and/or C to give me more space for what is on A now. I would appreciate any words of wisdom. Frank (tmradius)

Frank - you should start a new thread.

No version of Windows includes native tools to manipulate existing partitions (you can create & format new ones or delete existing).

So, if you want to give partition A the space from B & C, you need to either:

- use partition magic or similar (eg partition expert). This will let you manipulate (ie combine, split, resize) partitions on the fly (but should still backup vital data first)

- backup partition A stuff (to CD or whatever). Assuming A, B and C do not include operating system, remove them (fdisk if win9x/ME, disk management if 2k/XP). Create new single partition & restore files. If operating system is on A (or B/C) - partition magic or backup/clean reinstall

Thanks to everyone who suggested Partition Magic. It
really, really works. My user thanks you too.

Also thanks from me, Frank for telling me about Partition Magic. I was aware of it but I thought that some of you sharp gurus knew something (magic) that I didn't know. A side question: Can an 'image' of partition A be put on another drive drive and then returned to the the repartitioned drive? Frank

Yes. You can copy the partition to any drive which has enough space to hold a partition that size, including free space. If you have to, you can size the original partition down, copy, and then resize it up in one batch, again in Partition Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back