Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repairing nortel equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigafin

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2007
US
Hello everyone. I work for a school system in Florida, and have a crew that maintains over 100 individual nortel systems at school sites. We are having budget issues, and political issues, that prevent us from upgrading some of these older systems. In order to keep things running, I have a question for everyone: What tips/tricks have you found to repair an ailing 6x16/8x24/0x32/bcm50/bcm450/expansion module to keep it running? Things like replacing the 5.5v 1 Farad memory capacitor on 8x24's to repair the memory loss during a power failure or the most common fail point of a bcm50 is the power supply, etc.... I have decent electronic repair knowledge, and have no problems getting into repairing some of these components to save some money and time. Note: Farming it out to a third party for repair is not an option, the higher-ups rejected that suggestion. Thanks!

One thing is the phones themselves.

I would have TLC (Tender Loving Care) Days for the phones, They can be the single biggest point of failure if any of them are dirty.

What I mean by TLC Days is:

-Establish a schedule to visit each facility.
-Once at the facility, visit each phone location and ask about missing button labels, and button caps or any other issues on each telephone set and fill into a spreadsheet. Determine which phones need to be replaced or repaired and take action.
-one phones are repaired or replaced, set up a cleaning TLC Day.
-Order a bunch of Paper Feature Cards for underneath the handsets on the M7000 sets or Feature Button Swinging arms/labels on the T7000 sets

Cleaning Day:
-Visit your local Walgreens and buy a ton of antibacterial wipes and an eyeglass lens cleaning cloth.
1.)Visit each phone extension
2.)Unplug Phone and handset
3.)Remove button caps or paper labels
4.)Vigorously wipe down all phones/handset/cords with antibacterial wipes, then finish the cleaning with a soft lens cleaning cloth to remove dust
5.)Wipe down all keycaps RLS Hold, etc (M7000 sets) to remove dirt and grime....
6.)Place handset, cords, keycaps and labels back on telephone
7.)Power phone back on and set on your users desk....they will be like "Who installed a new phone for me overnight?"

It's really that simple to get the maximum value out of your Nortel handsets. Keeping them clean, free of damaging dirt/grime/spilled soda and fresh looking will carry them well into the future.

Note: On T7000 series phones with paper labels, use double stick tap on the back side of the label, so that if the plastic label desi cover strip ever falls off, the labels will still be there.

I've done this cleaning method for hundreds of Nortel users and they always think they just got a new phone system.

TLC Days for Nortel Phones!

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

5th

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

that's double stick tape, not tap, sorry!

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

And they will distance themselves very quickly from the posturing and penny-pinching the first time anyone tries to dial 911 and it doesn't work; leaving you standing there with an .89 cent capacitor in your hand...

Each system and software release of Norstar, BCM and Meridian(CS1000) has their own quirks and predominate issues that become patterned and as SU or patches are issued. Many of them can be found searching here.

I haven't seen them put in a single collection, however, GHTrout and Mike's PBX cookbook are two of the most valuable and enjoyable Nortel resources available for the product lines. My favourite is the Meridian Opt 61 BBQ conversion upgrade...

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

Hmm..no one has schematics or have successfully repaired a dead ksu or expansion module? I guess for most people its easier to just order another.... sometimes I don't have that option!

Dead equipment is almost always the power supply and there are lots of them around, cheap too and very easy to replace.

I do care about our phone systems, which is why I am on here asking for assistance. There is a lot more to the story, I did not include it as I wished not to bore everyone with politics, and I would hope that I could get a few more helpful responses before I start getting ragged on for attempting to do my job more efficiently. Thanks for the website links by the way KE407122, they are quite informative.

Politics aside. Doing your job efficiently is buying reconditioned parts.

What does it cost your company for your time to a) search the internet for how to repair KSUs, boards and cards? And b) how much is the labor cost for your time and parts to do these repairs?

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Leave him alone, when you do not have a budget you do not have a budget period! Most companies can scrape up enough money for a few spares, but not all locations are like that, some have no money period and are looking at who to lay off next, not a good situation for anyone to be in.

Sorry I do not have any diagrams or I would gladly share with you, we are one of the lucky ones that have budget to keep spares, or get parts or systems at short notice.

Good luck!

FYI nobody has ragged on you and instead excuse our defense while we the techs sit at home because of your company and yes I meant your company not you directly.
You are not the first one to come here with a story like that.
As for "your job" that's another big backhand, no....that's our job you took from us and could we please have it back? lol
cheers

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Heres the boring story: We had a maintenance agreement with Verizon, that we were happy with. They maintained our ksus when we had a problem. Verizon dropped all corporate accounts in our area, then fired thier techs. This left us high and dry. I have been trying to implement a switch to voip, but the money isn't there for a county this size with so many sites. We are a school board department that got hit hard when the finance crunch hit, a lot of people left the county dropping tax revenue. We are trying to make do the best we can. We are government, so budgets are scrutinized with a microscope. We have a new agreement with a company, which is 40 miles away, and does not keep parts in stock. I made an agreement with them to exchange parts when one goes bad, but I need some stock to start with. I presently have a LOT of bad parts, I hate to see them go to waste if a simple fix will bring them back to life. That's it.

Most of the parts you can trade in with some vendors who have repair facilities, its win deal for both.

Best to look for Nortel/Avaya vendors....not Carriers who specialized in dial tone, over charging and claim not to support product.
Get a spreadsheet and list the bad parts and send them away.

Example...the cost of the machine to fix displays on a phone is about 10K.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Ok, I'll see if I can get that approved, maybe someone can do the repairs and split the results. Like keep a percentage of the parts and repair the rest. That sounds like it would work out well for everyone.

Yes. I can read a schematic and troubleshoot a KSU down to the component.

You may find similar legislation that limits the conditions by which one can make repairs on a previously approved electronic device that interconnects to the PSTN. I don't hold the technical apparatus certificate issued for either the manufacture, testing, sale or to ensure compliance on registered technical specifications when effecting repair, so would be very reluctant to do so.

As far as managing by 'lots of them around' good luck. Because one of these days they are not found that efficiently.

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back