Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repairing a damaged recycle bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

weberm

Programmer
Dec 23, 2002
US
I have a Win98 machine with two hard drives. Recently, for some unknown reason, one thought a program had a perputual lock on its contents, forcing me to recover via a Norton Ghost image file. Anyhow, whenever I try to empty the recycle bin, I get a cryptic error message about "DD". If I open explorer and go to the Recycled folder I can delete them just fine, so I'm thinking my best bet is to "reinstall" the recycle bin from scratch. How does one go about doing that?

Have you tried running the system file checker?
start>run>sfc

You will need either the win98 cd available or the cabs in the option/cabs folder in the windows directory

It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."

I haven't tried the system file checker yet, but will try that tonight. Does SFC require the Win98 CD or CAB files?

You could also try deleting the recycle bin from the desktop and reboot windows will rebuild it.

azpctech01 said:
Have you tried running the system file checker?
start>run>sfc
I tried your suggestion but got this error message:
System File Checker cannot check the following folder because the volume is locked: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY Close all programs and click retry...

For what it's worth, when I attempt to empty the recycling bin, I get this message but am able to delete the files without problems if I open it and manually delete them.
Error deleting file: Cannot delete DD1: Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
Could recovering the drive via the Norton backup have scrambled something in the FAT? I noticed there are some zero-length files on that drive that ressist being deleted and some other oddities. Do you think these damaged files could be causing this problem?

joe935 said:
You could also try deleting the recycle bin from the desktop and reboot windows will rebuild it.

Do you mean right-click on the bin and choose "delete" from the pop-up menu?

From the "better late than never" department, I finally fixed the problem this weekend! I wound up opening explorer and copying the C: drive folder to the D: drive one, overwriting it in the process and replacing it with a working version. I suspect the problem was caused by a hidden file with a munged name in the folder because I also spent the afternoon moving good files to the C: drive, rebooting in DOS and deleting them using wildcards in the line command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back