Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair Won't Work! "...needs to be repaired or isn't a valid database"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneChick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
CA
I seem to have a corrupt database. The repair process hangs and never completes (the access lock file stays open indefinitely). Also, have tried the old create a new database and import the tables into it, but that wouldn't work either.... Any other ideas would be most helpful. Thanks, Nicole

I think the first thing I'd try is to delete the LOCK file. I assume that you are using the same version of Access that the database was created in, and not an earlier version! -please make sure. On a COPY of the database file, try first to COMPACT it, before trying to open the database, or to link to the tables from another, blank database. Only then attempt a repair if corruption is evident. Microsoft recommends that you do not attempt to repair 'healthy' Access databases.

> Microsoft recommends that you do not attempt to repair 'healthy' Access databases.

There should be no worries with doing that in Access 2000/2002 (especially since Compact and Repair are now a single process). They were also improved to be safer and more effective.

If that doesn't work try downloading "Jetcomp" from the Microsoft site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back