Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair of scratches to LCD display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I can't be the first to have this happen. Upon my return from hospital, and no doubt without my full faculties, I placed my wheeled desktop PC on the desk in front of the LCD to do some work (I usually work on the floor, like most folks).

Well I spun the PC around and now have a hideous set of scratches along the bottom 1/3 of my relatively new Samsung 2205 monitor. Is there a separate part # for this exterior piece or is it considered part of the screen? Is there any way to diminish the ugliness? As it is I can't live with it and if I can't fix it I'm afraid I'll have to replace it. is of no help. Any ideas?

Tony

This one has puzzled me for a while.

I just done a g00gle and found a suggestion, using candle wax to fill the scratches:
I don't know if it will work...

There is a product for mobile phones: Displex. Again I don't know if that will work either.

Made an executive decision...bought a new 22" the 20" scratched model goes down the hand-me-down chain...or I could tile it...hmmm

Tony

Hey Wahnula would of thought rubbing out scratches with wet and dry sand paper (with water) starting with say 300 grit finishing with 1000 and then may be some auto polish I know this works with perspex and acrylic surfaces

ps hope ya well now dude

With my luck it would only get worse. These are deep gouges and result in a thick black line across the bottom of the screen about paper-clip width. My next LCD that dies will get an autopsy and repair attempt, this is still a quite nice screen and the marks are on the bottom...if it were not for the fact that they would remind me what a dumba$$ I am I could live with them. Wifey will be thrilled to go from 15" to 20", I will be happy to go from 20" to 22" (same res., older eyes) so it's a win-win.

Thanks for your well wishes Aussie2, I am turning the corner healthwise. If you're not squeamish Google "Whipple Procedure" to see what I've been through...although my cancer was teeny-tiny and is now gone forever, it's still been a major, major battle.

Remember, every day is a gift...even if it's just a pair of socks.

Tony

Also, no matter what you do with the monitor, the Andromeda Galaxy is still likely to crash into the Milky Way, in about 4-5 billion years. Hopefully, since Earth is near an edge, we will not be a part of the gigantic black hole that will result in the two centers fighting for power. No, I am not drunk.

Burt

No, I am not drunk.

Yes I know. I'm on painkillers too.

No need to worry about the Andromeda...the hydrogen supply for the sun will be exhausted and the sun will be a red giant long before then...and it will be too cold for humans OR monitors.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back