Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair install

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Win 7 Pro
I can't believe that "search" can't find any listing for Win 7. Plenty for XP!

What are the steps to do a "repair install" in Win 7?

Thanks!!!

There is no "repair install" in Windows 7, you should reinstall Windows and restore data from backup, says Microsoft.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Thanks, this was "just in case" for a continuing problem I'm having with freezing. Scannow didn't help - so I was just going to "repair" the O.S. - never mind! <grin>

Thanks. At least now I know!!!

Interesting and possibly useful, but to me, it's not going to be useful very often because:
1. Most systems I'm needing to "repair" are only bootable to safe mode, but that's not kosher with this procedure.
2. You need to get updates from the internet, but many times internet is broken, thus the need to repair.

Thanks rclarke250

I've been fighting an intermittent freezing for two months now. Sometimes once a day - sometimes once a week. So far, the record has been two weeks. I've been through the CPU (temps O.K.), memory swap, vid card, etc. Right now, I have swapped out my USB keyboard for a old fashioned PS2 style. So far,it's been 3 days!
I can't replace the mobo, I would have to start from scratch with a whole new system!
I've bookmarked this site (Repair), just in case!!!

Thanks linney, but it's not the physical building (I have always built my own), but the cost of "starting over"! New mobo (of course), new CPU, new memory (I have 8 gig of DDR2), no floppy drive, not enough PCI slots - will have to convert peripherals to USB. And we won't even get started on UEFI/Win8! I did find a matching mobo - for $155!!! The manu doesn't make it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back