Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

repair and compact not working - db locked 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
Hello,
I try to run the repair and compact, but it's not working it says the database is open exclusively by user "Admin" on machine "Laptop" please try again later.

I checked the PC the database is not open there, I tried to rename the lock file but no luck - any ideas how to resolve it, the database is not working at all.

Thanks,

did you try to delete the .ldb file? Some times when you close Access, it does not delete that file and you end up with just such an error as you discribed.

Make a copy before messing around with it.

Have you tried opening the database exclusively , Open dialog and choose database and the exclusive option. Have you tried to reboot. If cannot after a reboot then some other computer must have it open.

Something to think about:
Do you have a LDB file with the same name in the BE in the directory where this database resides? If secured setup -Do you have a LDB file with the same name as your workgroup file in the same directory where it resides? If so, delete the file...

Closing down all access applications in user workstations.

Yes I tried to delete and re-name the .ldb file but was not successful, I have to re-start the server, just have to wait until I get everyone off the system.
I'm not sure about opening the db exclusively, but thanks for your responses - as always really appreciated.

I have had the same problem on the network. I copy the file off to my comupter and copy it back to itself on the network. It almost always copies over the locked file and then I can make repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back