Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repackaging Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwest1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
GB
Have created a package as a windows installer file. Under an administrative login the package will install fine and work ok. When I subsequently log in as a Std User it wont work. The user needs permissions to modify certain folders the software installs on to the PC. Even though I set the permissions before I compile the package they do not carry over to the target PC.

Anyone any ideas. Am fairly new to this so the simpler the better.

Cheers in advance.

I have also had the same problem. How do you modify permissions of folders or files within your package?

I have used SMS installer, InstallShield and WinInstall and always come across the same problem.

The user needs modify permissions to the program file folder.

Thanks

Matthew Wilde
matthew@ukwebsite.com

If I'm not mistaken, when creating the package, or re-package for that matter, remember to set the permissions to the folders needed before compiling the package. The settings and CALCS should apply when the app is later installed.

If that does not work, you could always add a small sms instruction to set the cacls after installation. something like:

cacls %SYSTEMROOT%\Program files\xxx /T /E /G Everyone:C

Good Luck

Edit the lockpermissions table in the MSI or have a closer look at your packagine application, you can set permissions using WISE\Installshield GUI..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back