Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reordering SAS columns for output 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruman

Technical User
Aug 7, 2007
US
I'm wondering if someone can tell me an easy way to reorder my variable columns in SAS for output to another software package.

Let's say I have columns "a b c d" as a result of working with my data in sas. However, in order to use it in another program, I need columns ordered "d c a b".

I'm sure there's a simple way to do this, but I haven't been able to find it and I just need to move on...

Thanks!
Pruman

You can use Proc SQL to do this...
Code:
proc sql;
  create table ordered_out as
  select D
        ,C
        ,A
        ,B
  from disordered_File
  ;
quit;
This is the simplest way to do it.

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

Hi,

You can simply use a retain statement.
If you have say 50 variables and you are concerned with ordering for only first 5 or 10 columns.
If you use PROC SQL, you have to list all.
With retain statement just use those 5 or 10 variables and you are all set. Using this retain statement on already existing variables never effect the values in these variables.

data ordered_out ;
retain d c a b;
set disordered_File;
run;

Great trick, I guess I learn something new everyday. Make sure to put the RETAIN statement before the SET otherwise its doesn't do the trick.
Klaz

Sweet...

I went to SAS training last week and this is way better than the answer that I got... which was basically that it couldn't be done in the data step...

Did you impress them with your knowledge and tell them how to do it? :)

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back