Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming Restored SQL Server 2000 Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

commdevildog

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2003
US
I need to restore an old copy of our production database from about a year and a half ago. This is for report purposes only, and not to replace our current database. I have plenty of room on the current drive (about 96gb free and the file is only 7 gb), but I am unsure of how to restore the file as a new name. Again, I want our current database and this restored copy to be on the same drive, only the restored database to be named something like "Production_restore" or something like that.
I am using version 9.0 on a W2k server. Any help out there? I'm new to restorations in general, so as much advice as possible is appreciated.

You can restore the database with new name by redirecting the database to another name by changing it from destination-->Microsoft SQL redirection,

I have tried this more than once and it works like charm

First, thanks for the reply. I was reading up on that, but the books online seemed pretty vague. Do you know of anywhere where I can get a step by step list, or at least more information, on this? I'm hesitant to do this until I'm completely sure of what I'm doing, but I'm also under the gun here.

What do you mean by the 'books online'? Are you talking about the SQL Server Books OnLine? If so, they don't apply to doing a restore from Backup Exec.

Mohamdr's directions are for use when restoring from Backup Exec using the Agent for SQL Server. You can set the redirection when you select the file to be restored.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

If you are 'under the gun', I suggest:

1. in SQL Server - detach the production database.
2. COPY the .mdf and .ldf files to another location as backups. Leave the originals where they are.
3. restore the old database using Backup Exec and redirecting it to a new name.
4. test it...see if it is in SQL Server with the new name
5. ATTACH the production version from the original location.

If it all works, fine. If the BE Restore overwrites the production version, you have the 'original' copies elsewhere.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

When referring to books online, I meant "Veritas Backup Exec Administer's Guide" found under the help file.
Also, I can't afford any down time on our production database, as it's in constant 24x7 user.
I am using Backup Exec using the Agent for SQL Server, but I didn't see anywhere to rename the file when selection the database off of the tape. Unless you are talking about the following: When selecting "Sql Redirection" under destination, I can list the current server under "Restore to server". From there, do I put the name of what I want to rename the database to under "Restore to named instance(SQL 2000)"? And if so, what goes in "Restore to database"?

Thanks for your patience with me; this is all new to me.

commdevildog what you are explining exactly what I ment at begining do that and you should be able to restore it without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back