Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming Media 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrjohn

MIS
Nov 18, 2004
I'm using BE 9.1 -- I started with naming tapes numerically and have a tape named LT16 originally but I renamed it to Monday II. However, when I go to restore a file it shows up in the restore window with a creation date and the old name LT16 in ( ). When I inventory it, it says Monday II?? I can find no way to change this. I probalby could re-catalog it but that would erase the data. Any other options??

John

re-catalogging won't erase the media.

When you say rename, you mean rename and not relabel?

The rename only changes the tape name in teh BE database, but the next time it is overwritten it will label the tape with the renamed label.

Can you actually restore anything from the tape still?

Eureka! The tape waas renamed or relabeled (I am not sure what the difference is) when I backed up another job last night. Yes, There are the backups for the previous nights also.

What is the difference between renae and relabel?

John

When you re-label a tape, it wipes out all the data.. .like you are erasing the tape to be a scratch one. if you rename, which I have not done. that is all you are doing...renaming, but not erasing. SO I would suggest that the next time you want to re-use the tape, you start your renaming when you are erasing the tape..blonde

AS I said above, rename will just rename the tape in the BE database - the next time the tape is overwritten, the tape will be labelled with the renamed name.

relabel actually overwrites the tape with a new media label.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back