Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming mailbox users

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcranford

MIS
May 18, 2000
US
After renaming an NT user in User Manager, I go into Exchange Administrator and rename the mailbox. All works well except I have just discovered that the "Directory Name" under Properties, Advanced remains the initial user's alias. I bring this up because when the new user initiates a meeting request in her Outlook client, the replies back to her are being sent to the original mailbox owner. This is confusing to me because:
1. The original user has been removed from NT User Manager.
2. The reply to the meeting is not the "alias" of the original user but the original user's display name (first, middle, last).
I'm running Exchange Server 5.5, SP4. The users are running either Outlook 98 or 2K.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

Have you tried to change the Primary NT account under the user properties to the name changed in the NT account?

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know.

That's why I do it first in NT User Manager...that "change" follows into Exchange Administrator --- saves a step.

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

True, but did it register in exchange that way? You may have to go back and take it out and then load it back in again. I ahve had to do that after making changes either way--fickle.

Just a thought.

bob

It's there. I have no idea where to look for this "old" display name that is obviously written and linked to what appears to be a calendar/schedule problem only. It somehow retained the look of the old user while everything else the new user does comes back as it should.

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

I would delete the account an recreate it in exchange.

Always hate to give in to Microsoft's quick fixes that we all know so well. The "Directory Name" of all of my renamed users retain their original names; one as far back as 5 years. Be willing to bet that there is a connection.

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

Sometimes the quick fixes are the only fixes. I don't think they do this on purpose, it just turns out this way.

There is an awful lot of things tied to the SID of a user account, and when that goes a changing, problems creep up on us.

bob

The best thing is to create a new mailbox for the user instead of renaming it (shouldnt take too long) this is becos i have found that the directory name can not be changed/renamed and the system does use the directory name a lot.

Create a new mailbox and attach the NT Account to it, should solve the problem.

Who's that girl! :)

I figured as much...it was great not having to deal with transferring mail using the ol' PST method however. Thanks to you both for the insight.

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

Hi there...We've been playing with the Beta of Exchange 2003 and I can't find that directory name on any of the screens. I wonder if it was something old that has now been removed? If so, that'll sure make renaming things easier, particularly for when people change names, etc.

You'd think MS, having programmed Exchange to look for and adjust to NT username changes, wouldn't leave this open as a problem. Hopefully the new version will take care of it. Now if it were only affordable ;-)

Deon Cranford
dc2@scotlandhealth.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back