Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

renaming domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

drees

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
We are currently using a 2000 domain with the domain name the same as our website. We would like to rename the domain to avoid problems with DNS. We are currently using only one server. I was wondering what is involved in changing a domain name or if it is even possible without losing all of our Active Directory and Exchange 2000 settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Drees

To change the domain name you have to run dcpromo to remove AD then change the name and run dcpromo again to install AD.
I haven't heard of any possible work arounds.

If you choose to DCPROMO be advised you will lose all user accounts and groups. It is very easy to manage your DNS records if your server domain is the same as your externally hosted domain. If you host a website and pop mail externally you will need to simply add a Reverse Lookup Zone and point to the IP Address of your web server. Then add a new pointer record of Then under Forward lookup Zones add a new host record to your Primary Zone, the host will be the IP address is your web server. Do the same for mail. You will need to follow these same steps if your mail server has different ip addresses. DO NOT FORGET all workstations will need to look to your server for DNS resolution not the internet servers. You must also add DNS forwarders. To do this, right click on the server icon in the DNS configuration snapin, click properties> Forwarders, then add your external DNS Server addresses, click enable forwarders. If your DNS server is setup properly everything will work as designed. If you have problems email me admin@pronet-solutions.com I can help.

Thanks for the help. I have reconfigured dns with your advice to avoid the conflict. Now I will just promote the member server and be done with it.

Drees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back