Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RENAMING DOMAIN CONTROLLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000Admin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2003
CA
Hello All,

I have a problem with Active Directory Replication.
I have 2 serveurs, let call them srv1 and srv2 which are both domain controller of the dmain XYZ.
Both are Windows 2000 servers in the windows 2000 domain XYZ that is in Native Mode.
When I try to manually replicate the Active Directory Schema via the 'Active DIrectory Sites and Services' I have the error:
"The DSA replication Failed because the RPC service is not available. This may be caused by a DNS problem"

In the Network Identication Tab of the servers, the name of srv1 is: srv1.XYZ.
and the name of srv2 is srv2.

So first I think I have a problem with the Identification of srv2 that should be srv2.XYZ.

I want to rename the server srv2 from srv2. to srv2.XYZ. but I can't since it is a DC. So I used dcpromo to demote it but it failed because of a DNS problem! You see what I mean? I want to rename a server for solving DNS issues but I can't rename it since there is some problem with DNS!

How can I solve this? How can I rename this DC?

Thanks

I know, obvious question, but, is the DNS settings correct on srv2? Do the DNS settings point to your local, internal DNS server?

Is there a DNS entry for srv2 in your DNS zone. How many DNS servers do you have? Do SRV records exist for your DC's?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Hello,
the DNS specified in srv2 IP settings is the main DNS : srv1.
But the DNS service is also setup on srv2 and is a replication of srv1. And yes, there is a entry for srv2 in the zone. I tried to remove it but it did not change anything.
yes the SRV records exist for both srv1 and srv2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back