Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming a mac OS9.2 machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kestrel1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Probably a very simple solution to this, but I haven't found it yet.
Do not use MAC's that much, but how can I rename a MAC that is running OS9.2
Thanks

What exactly do you want to rename? The hard drive on the desktop? The machine as it appears on the network?

I am able to rename the machine as it appears on the network, but I would like to change the actual name of the machine.
I am using Citrix & for some reason this is not picking up the network name, just the name that it was registered with.

I believe that some network devices poll that information from their hosts. Not all servers may be requesting the same info, Unix based or otherwise. I have noticed this on router DHCP tables, for instance some do, and some don't.

In the case of OS 9.2, you open the File Sharing control panel, and there you will find fields for "owner name" and "computer name". Try changing those and see if that helps.

....JIM....

SYQUEST you are a star.
Changing the computer name in the file sharing was exactly what I wanted. It would have taken me ages to find that. Not exactly the obvious place.
Anyway, thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back