Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming a file in DOS........... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyjohn

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I have an application which dumps a text file to a location on a server. Unfortunately it cant rename the file using a dynamic label such as including the date, so it overwrites the file everytime it exports the file. Is there a way in DOS of renaming a text file using sonme sort of dynamic labelling such as including the date? John

Did you try REN XXX.TXT YYY.TXT (XXX & YYY being the file name)? WMH
MCP+I, MCSE
smashfreakb.gif

Yes that does work but I want to run that command line with a scheduling package so that it names it something different everytime like 001.txt John

Sorry, but trying to incorporate that kind of data into a filename is beyond DOS. DOS doesn't even provide for naming files in a pattern (1.txt 2.txt, etc).

You can do what you would like, but you need to use a utility to do so. If you get creative, you can certainly accomplish that without any problems. In fact, a quick search on shows me a dos util called Now 1v02 (file name now-1v02.zip) that should do what you want. Free download (don't know the ware type), check it out.

Looks like it will take the just about any date/time info you could want and translates it into DOS friendly format specifically for use in naming unique filenames in a batch file. Bingo!

Good luck! Mudskipper

Right mudskipper

DOS is pretty limited.

You could get Kixtart which might do that, expect ir would, or write a very small BAS program.

The following winds up to be a 4,128 byte long EXE (done in BCX/LCC) but could be done in VB.

Code:
dim a$, i
  ! strdate (a);  for(i=0;i<strlen(a);i++) if (a[i]=='/') a[i]='.';
  a$ = &quot;command /c ren &quot; & argv$[1] & &quot; &quot; _
      & chr$(34) & argv$[1] & a$ & chr$(34)
 ? a$
 shell a$
end

It renames X to X09.20.02 and one could tag on the timestamp pretty easily.

I have the following saved as a batch file and use task scheduler to run it at a certain time each morning. It moves the file and then renames it with the current date in a dd-mm-yyyy format (so if your american you might want to swap the %%a and the %%b over in the date=%%a-%%b-%%c line)

move c:\TQMDATE.ZIP c:\TQMCOPY\TQMCOPY.zip

FOR /f &quot;tokens=2-4 delims=/ &quot; %%a in ('DATE/T') do SET date=%%a-%%b-%%c

rename TQMCOPY.zip %date%.zip
delete TQMCOPY.zip

Alex

Sorry, thought that this was in the windows 2k forum, it doesn't work in 9x for some reason. All the best trying to resolve it.

Alex

Hi ScottyJohn,

I knew there was a simple solution lurking somewhere. It finally unlurked this AM

A really simple solution for Time/date in 9x/me command procedures (bat files).

If you run the command line:

timedate | call settimedate

then Date= and Time= will be set and you can then do something like

copy logfile &quot;%date%logfile&quot;

Tested and works on 98se2

Took a program but only... a few lines. The source as wellas the exe for TimeDate (4K) are on
It operates off the fact that if you set an environment paramter in a called batch file the parameter 'sticks' for the higher level.

The rest is Duh! simple, simply make a program to write a batch file
Set Time=...
Set Date=...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back