Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renamed PC's in network now their not their??

Status
Not open for further replies.

popotech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
i currently am running win2k (12 servers in total) and the person who maintained the network before me named the pc's with the users that occupied those pc's? i renamed them to the location of the pc's instead, since i have began this renaming process some of the pc's show up with the new name and some of the pc's i have renamed don't show up at all under network neighborhood? all the pc's are running xp pro sp1. i renamed a whole set of pc's in one department with it's own server and they all showed up but i have done some renaming on the other pc's that are on separate servers and they don't even show up now? is there a service not running on those servers or am i missing something?

Did you give the servers time to propogate the information to each other?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I did some of the renaming last week?

Are you refering to the NetBios Names? You probably are since TCP/IP is defaulted to "Use Netbios over TCP/IP". If you have different subnets, netbios names do not propagate across a router. If all the PC's are one 1 subnet, then they should see each other's netbios name. To get them to see the PC's on another subnet, you need a WINS service or you have to edit LMHOSTS.SAM to find them.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

they are all on the same subnet. i used to be able to see all the pc's from "Entire Network" now i can't see the ones i renamed.

could it be a sp issue? some of the pc's that are showing up are xp sp2.,

Are you still having this issue? I remember a while back seeing something kind of similar to this at the place I used to work. From what I remember they had to go in and delete the computer accounts so they could be recreated... dont take my word on that, just trying to possibly give another take on this.

Another possibility is if you have more than one DC they may not be replicating and those pc's created the account on the other server and that's where they are going when they login.

The firewalls on the XP's have to be disabled or they won't show up on the domain. Also, the file and print sharing must be installed or the workstations will not be visible. And as noted by seaspray0 the DNS must be current.

det

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back