Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renamed Administrator Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfusco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2005
US
Today I decided to rename the administrator account and at the same time change teh password. After I did that I realized that under the sercurity right There are 2 accounts specified,

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for Collections, Package, Advertisement, Status Message, Site, Query, Report, Software Metering, Software Updates with what looks like all rights

There is also;

DOMAIN\administrator for Collections, Package, Advertisement, Status Message, Site, Query, Report, Software Metering, Software Updates with what looks like all rights

Trouble is the administrator account no longer exists. The only exception is a account an account in my name for the Site with Read, Modify, Delete, Administr, Create, Dele, Meter, Manage SQL.

Howver I can no longer see my collections, packages, advertisments etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can get control of the server again?

You have to re-create the Admin account also in Active Directory with Admin rights just like the previous account.

Are you saying create an account named administrator in AD with admin rights?

No, it sounds to me like you renamed your SMS Service account. So what you should do is create an admin account in AD with the name that you used to rename the previous Admin account. So if it was originally called smsservice and you renamed it to smssrv then you now have to create an smssrv account in AD.

Oh, very important: make sure that you assign Domain admin rights to this new account since SMS uses it for system-wide setup and configurations.

If you want to avoid creating a new account and assigning rights, you should just be able to also rename the admin account in AD as you did in SMS.

I didnt rename the SMS Service account. I renamed the domain administrator account.

Oh, I was thrown off by the SMS references made. Sorry. So was it the Local Admin account on the SMS server that you renamed? or the Domain local admin account? Not sure I'm understanding what was changed. Sorry about the confusion. Why not just rename it back to it's original name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back