Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddamm

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
Our company wishes to rebrand itself and change its domain name. We are running Windows NT 4 with Microsoft Small Business Server 4.5 running DHCP, Exchange, and SQL 7. We are using an external DNS server. The only article I have found in Technet is
As I see it, what the "outside" sees is our email address. Thus, I believe that this is really what management wants changed. Our web site is hosted externally, so a domain name change would be the hosting site's responsibility, aside from us registering the new domain name. Is there an easier way to do this? After reading the Technet article, it looks like changing the domain name will probably open up a can of worms.

We will will be upgrading to Windows Small Business Server 2003 in the near future. Perhaps it will be easier at that point in time.

Does anyone have any experience with this to offer suggestions?

-Dave

in an ms environment changing the domain name is indeed a major change
for a start sql - you will need to modify the setup to register the db
all pc's will need to rejoin the domain as it's a different domain

i would do it as part of the migration - i would imagine that it is the company identity they want changed rather than the domain nmae
the domain nmae is irrelevant

Thanks, Terry. So, if I understand you correctly. By company identity do you mean the part of the email address after the @ sigla?

yep thats correct

that part is an easy change - one edit in your exchange and the rest will be at your isp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back