Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename coputer with .bat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I also posted this on the tcp-ip forum with no answer. I would like to have a batch file on the customers desktop that they can execute and it will rename the computer and set its tcp-ip settings atuomatically. I have tried playing with some I found on the web but I am not that familiar with progrmming that is this deep. I want to keep it as simple as possible since we end up doing this via phone.
We drop ship pcs to customers with multi terminals and the naming and numbering is very important to the pos software they are running. If I had 6 batch files on the desk top they could select the one called terminal 3 and it will name the pc from whatever its current name is to the name terminal 3 and setup a predetermined ip that will not conflict.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

agggh.. I know I mispelled computer. I wish there was a way to edit our post when we see dumb mistakes.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Here is a link to a utility built into Windows XP. I have used it before and it works pretty good.

Here is also a link to use another utility from windows that allows you to configure your TCP/IP settings from the command line which means you can put it into a batch file.

You should be able to some if then else statements to get it to do what you need to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back