Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

gscheepers

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hi,

I need some advice on renaming our active directory. I've been reading through Microsoft's guides on renaming domain names, but I've always found that Microsoft makes it sound easier than it really is.

Has anyone renamed a active directory before? I'd be grateful if I could have some advice before taking on the task this coming weekend.

Gerhard

I have never done it, although I need to. The main things are make sure you have a backup. Maybe go so far as to get a desktop you can make a server and try the rename.
Secondly if you have exch 2003 there are some fixes that need to be done, if exch 2007 I don't believe you can rename domain.

It is not that hard to do. Just follow the ms documentation - they give you 2 documents for this. 1 explains exactly what is happening when you rename and 1 gives you the steps to follow. It is important that you read both very carefully before you do this for real and you should test first on a test system.

I have done this 3 or 4 times now and never had any problems. As GrimR says there are extra steps for exchange 2003 but these are covered in the documentation and he is spot on saying that if you have exchange 2007 you can't rename a domain.

I would not do it this weekend without practicing the procedure on a test system first, give yourself some time to get used to what is happening and why during the procedure and then do it for real.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

GrimR is right about Exchange. With Exchange 2007 in the environment, a domain rename isn't supported. With Exchange 2003, it is supported, but adds additional steps to the rename process. Microsoft documents this as well.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks for this - I think I've already read the two documents Scott's referring to.

Will setup a test domain and test it out before going to the live environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back