Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing WAN miniports from Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseK

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
I am having problems with a clients machine, it is running Windows XP on a LAN with shared internet connection; in device manager it lists 4 various WAN miniports (PPTP, L2TP, PPPOEP etc) and 4 "unknown devices" under network connections (This machine does not use any remote access or VPN technology!!). When you try and remove any of these devices windows reports "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

We've tried searching the net for this problem with no luck - anyone got and ideas/solutions?

Karl Graham
(The machine did have AOL previously installed which was causing DNS problems which have now been solved - could this also be related?)

Remove them in "Safe Mode without Networking", but leave the Wan-miniport drivers alone.

This is a query in response to bcastner's response. I am having a problem with the Wan Miniport (has exclamation mark) indicating that it is not loading because of another device. This is on a Toshiba Tecra 8000, have installed Shiva 8.3, is there a way I can update/replace the driver for the Wan Miniport?
CLC95624

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back