Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Uneeded Field Spaces from Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTSweety

Programmer
Oct 25, 2003
US
The linked table ID field of a linked table is text with 26 characters. Eight are the ID number and the remaining blank spaces.

How do I remove the spaces?

Tried TRIM and LEFT(PIN, 8) in build-table qry w/o success.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
Put the bar high - when you reach it - raise it.

What have you tried ?
What didn't work ?
Any error message ?
Unexpected result ?
???

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Sorry, I guess I oversimplified the problem.

TRIM and LEFT(ID,8) do not cause any error, but the result still has the spaces. I attemped to APPEND qry and making the destination table ID field text 8 characters long. This resulted in error message which said something like 'type mismatch'. The latter I also tried with the TRIM and LEFT conditions.

I tested the LEFT condition by changing the filter number to 7 which resulted in no return. I tried RIGHT (ID, 20) which also return nothing.

I think the link from our CAMA database,. which cannot be adjusted to set field lenght, is forcing the anomily which prevents the filter from working. Right now I'm using MAKE TABLE then changing the field value to 8 in the new table.

I did search the databases on TEK-TIPS and looked down the FAQS. I wouldn't bother you all unless I was really stumped.

PHV, you've been very helpful in past, and I certainly appreciate your expertise.

Again, Thanks

Steven

Sorry, not enough info (at least for me).
could you please post CODE you tried with obtained result vs expected result ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back