Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing site system automatically assigned a role by SMS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticklz

MIS
Mar 30, 2000
GB
Im having difficulty removing a BDC which was automatically picked up and assigned the role of a CAP by SMS.<br><br>Reason i need to do this is because i now need the server to be a secondary site server.<br><br>But during installation it keeps telling me this server is a member of a site and all i can do to it is install administrator console.<br><br>Normal right-click on the site system, doesnt give me the 'delete' option.<br><br>Any ideas guys?<br><br>Thanks in advance

Lola,<br>You need to go into the Site Settings folder and then Site Systems folder.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here you will see what systems are performing what functions.&nbsp;&nbsp;Right click the server in question and select properties.&nbsp;&nbsp;Deselect all server functions you don't want it performing.<br><br>John Rolstead

Thanks Rolstead,<br><br>I had done all that. They are no longer CAPs or distribution points or anything else.. the only thing i see is that these servers are domain controllers.&nbsp;&nbsp;The ones that are not domain controllers, i am able to right click and delete, but with the domain controllers - the delete option is not available.<br><br>I know that SMS goes out and grabs all the DC and makes them site systems, how can you stop that happening?&nbsp;&nbsp;Even ones that are outside the boundary definition are picked up as long as they are domain controllers....&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;?!??!<br><br>Thanks anyway Rolstead.

You are right in that Lola.&nbsp;&nbsp;All DC's in the domain that is added to SMS 2.0 will be installed as logon points.&nbsp;&nbsp;Their is a Server discovery process that is not adjustable.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am facing this issue right now with a phased deployment.&nbsp;&nbsp;I will use the Master domain controllers as Secondary servers in each physical location.&nbsp;&nbsp;But if I enable Windows Network Logon Installation and specify the Master domain, then all DC's will become logon servers.&nbsp;&nbsp;I will see what effect this will have on their ability to still function as SMS 1.2 logon servers.<br><br>John

I'm having the same problem now.&nbsp;&nbsp;We just removed a BDC from our domain (gave it to another division of our company).&nbsp;&nbsp;It's only function was as a logon point.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've looked through TechNet and all the articles say that you cannot remove a site system automatically assigned by SMS (2.0).&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm hoping someone has found a way to remove one.&nbsp;&nbsp;Seems odd that you can't remove something when it's no longer being used. <p>Tom Thaden<br><a href=mailto:thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov>thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have completed some testing in the lab.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was able to install Secondary Site onto a machine that was a DC in Master Domain &quot;GlobalCopy&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Primary Site server is a member server in master domain.&nbsp;&nbsp;Added master domain to Windows Logon Installation.&nbsp;&nbsp;All DC's were aquired through server discovery and made clients, smslogon servers.<br><br>SMS 1.2 SP3 and SMS 2.0 SP2 Beta<br><br><br>Apr 20 Process: Testing if SMS 1.2 Package/Logon Servers can coexist on same hardware with SMS 2.0 Logon point in Master Domain.<br><br>1. Installing NTPDCLAB1 as Package/Logon.<br>a. Added NTPDCLAB1 to list of SMS 1.2 Logon and Package servers.<br>b. Edit smsls.ini to point globalcopy domain workgroup to NTPDCLAB1.<br>c. Run script to confirm that clients can install SMS 1.2 components before SMS 2.0 Windows Network Installation is enabled on domain Globalcopy.<br>d. Added the Globalcopy master domain to the Windows Networking Client Installation configuration in SMS 2.0 Administrator console.<br>e. Enable “Modify User Logon scripts” to see what effect this has.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will NOT be done in production.<br>a. SMSLOGON share added to shares on all Domain Controllers.<br>b. All other shares are unaffected.&nbsp;&nbsp;SMS_SHR, SMS_SHRC, SMS_PKGC still valid.<br>c. The following files were added to Export\Scripts:<br>SLWNT16.EXE, SLWNT32.EXE, SLWNT32A.EXE, SMSBOOT1.EXE, SMSLS.BAT, SNBOOT.EXE.&nbsp;&nbsp;Moved files to subdirectory SMS20<br>d. Script continues to run on clients with no errors due to SMS 1.2 smsls.bat file being stored in a subdirectory called “SMS” in the Netlogon share.<br>e. Tested remote control to SMS 1.2 clients.&nbsp;&nbsp;No issues.<br>f.&nbsp;&nbsp;Tested software delivery via Package Command Manager.<br><br><br>Apr 20 Process: Testing of Installation of Secondary Site to Master Domain DC with all SMS 1.2 components removed.<br>a. Remove SMS 1.2 client components via script on specified Workgroup.bat files.<br>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;Copy file SMSREM12.bat to Netlogon\Updates and rename file to workgroup to be deinstalled.<br>2. Have users logon as normal.<br>3. Confirm that components are removed by checking for sms.ini file.<br>a. The MS directory remains after removal of client.&nbsp;&nbsp;First job to new SMS 2.0 clients is to remove MS directory wherever it may exist.<br>4. Client removal process can begin, with installation of SMS 2.0 client software not occurring until Secondary Site is created and Site Boundary is assigned.&nbsp;&nbsp;The script will try to install the software but will exit due to client not being assigned to a Site.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is by design.<br>b. Remove all SMS 1.2 components from NTBDCLAB2, setting the SetupPhase value in SMS.INI to Deinstall.<br>a. NTPDCLAB1 remains active as GLOBALCOPY&nbsp;&nbsp;master domain Logon/Package Server.<br>b. Removed SMS 1.2 Logon and package components from NTBDCLAB2 via SMS Admin console.<br>c. Wait for the SMS_SHR, SMS_SHRx share to go away.<br>d. Remove SMS_PKGE share and directory.<br>e. Remove client components from NTBDCLAB2 by setting the SetupPhase value in SMS.INI to “deinstall” and rebooting.<br>f. Verify that all SMS 1.2 component services have been removed.<br>g. All SMS client software must be removed from Master domain DC’s prior to adding the domain to SMS 2.0 Windows Network Logon Installation.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is due to all DC’s being discovered and made SMS 2.0 clients.<br>c. Install Secondary Site to server<br>a. Requires domain, install drive.<br>b. Use the Global1\SMSSITECONN account.<br>c. Add the account to the Site Settings&gt;Connection Accounts&gt;Site System folder.<br>d. Have SMS install setup a new address to Secondary Site.&nbsp;&nbsp;Standard Sender Type.<br>e. Set account to GLOBAL1\SMSSITECONN account for connections.<br>f. Have SMS Install setup a new address to the Primary Site. Standard Sender Type.<br>g. Set account to GLOBAL1\SMSSITECONN account for connections.<br>h. Run Install.&nbsp;&nbsp;Wait approximately 30 minutes and exit/relaunch SMS Admistrator console.<br>i. After install is complete, select secondary site properties and turn on Software Metering Server service.&nbsp;&nbsp;Put SWMTR directory on largest drive.<br>j. Components installed are:<br>a. Software Metering.<br>b. Client Access Point.<br>c. Component Server.<br>d. Distribution Point.<br>e. Site Server.<br>f. Enable all Client agents.<br>k. Enable Windows Network Client Installation.<br>l. Site Boundaries will be set to subnet that the Secondary server is on.&nbsp;&nbsp;Add any necessary subnets.<br>m. Leaving Discovery methods set to default.&nbsp;&nbsp;Primary Site will do this function.&nbsp;&nbsp;Heartbeat discovery is on by default.<br>n. Create Collection for Secondary Site.&nbsp;&nbsp;Name it according to physical location.<br><br>

Hello,<br><br>I am facing the same situation with a mixed environment of SMS 1.2 and 2.0.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have already installed all of my logon points.&nbsp;&nbsp;Should I be expeciting a lot of problems. The DC's which are SMS 2.0 logon points are also SMS 1.2 Site servers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Will this create problems??<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back