Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Public Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheadpgr

Programmer
Feb 8, 2002
US
I am new to Exchange Server admin but I have a problem that involves a public folder.

An employee who used to work here created a public folder that is a sub-folder to one in which I am the owner. This employee no longer works here and he did not set permissions for anyone else in the company to delete items in the folder or even to delete the folder. How do I get around these permissions so that I can remove the folder?

Bill

Can you not log on as that user? Then you would have permissions and could also change the owner etc

kathy

Ok well off the top of my head, what I did when I had problems with Public Folder permissions after migrating to Exchange 2000 from 5.5, was to change them in Windows Explorer. Navigate to the folders on the M drive and look at the permissions. First you delete the existing permissions then add them back in but using Explorer not Exchange system manager

It can cause problems if you are keeping the folders as it means they cannot then be modified by Exchange System Manager, but to just delete I would not worry too much.

Here is a link which explains better. But be careful with folders that you want to keep. I now cannot immediately modify public folders after using this fix

Kathy

To change the permissions on a public folder:

Echange System Manager>Administrative Groups>First Administrative Group>Folders>Public Folders

Right Click on required Folder>Properties

Click on "Permissions" Tab

Click on "Client Permissions" button.

All permissions can be set from here.

I hope that this is of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back