Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillies00

Technical User
May 21, 2003
CA
Hi,

I am trying to remove a number of programs, but keep getting the message, Could not open Install.log.

I would really like to get rid of these programs, but don't know what to do.

any help would be welcome

Once you get this error, the program will not do an uninstall. You could try reinstalling the program to the same location. That should rewrite the uninstall files the program needs so you can uninstall it. Or, you can try just removing the programs files/folders and remove the associated registry files manually. Make sure you backup your registry before trying this. Obviously, the last option is not for the "faint-of-heart." :)

Hope this helps.

What programs? Are you trying to remove them with " add remove programs " or is there an uninstaller included in the programs folder? If you can't do it this way then manual removal is an option.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

This is one problem with the often-tendered advice to delete all *.log files during a clearout: Don't do it, as those important install logs have gone out with the rubbish. I'm assuming that's what has happened. As mentioned earlier, do a re-install to re-create the log files and hopefully you'll be able to uninstall properly. Failing this you'll have to delete the program folders and do a registry cleanup to remove the residuals. To be honest though, unless space is really important, those programs are doing no harm where they are.
Regards, Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back